Monday, March 15, 2010

Shabby French Chair, Part 3

So, who told me or where did I get the idea I could reupholster furniture? It is not as easy as it looks.

Kathy at Kate’s Place and Linda at Lime in the Coconut made it look and sound like a breeze! HA! It ain’t!

Top back looks ok, but that was the easy part.

100_1023

Yes, I have to work on my kitchen island or floor. It’s pathetic not to have the right work space to do these projects.

100_1024

100_1025

I love the TACK look, it is shabby for sure. But considering doing a double welt.

100_1026

100_1027

Also considering bringing her to a professional upholster! HA!

100_1029

Here’s a little TACK love….the settee and the cute club type chair are showing their tacks. What look do you like? The tacks showing or covered with welt or gimp?

mnaeve

13 comments:

Cass @ That Old House said...

Well, I'm tempted to say I like welt or gimp, because I do (especially gimp) but -- I'm afraid you will be too frazzled to go the extra mile, so leaving the tacks would work, too!

Whatever -- I give you BIG points for tackling this. I only do drop in dining room chair seats, and think that is upholstery.

Cass

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I'm like Cass, I only recover chair seats. I think you have done an awesome job. Finished edge would probably look best, but the shabby way is certainly vogue these days. I read on someone's blog the other day that they had an upholsterer make a double welt for her chair and it was only six dollar or so. I was thinking it would be a lot more than that here.

Anonymous said...

Hi, all your slipcovers are so beautiful!! That was my first time and it was a challenge! The only thing i can say to anyone is don't get a manicure until your done with the job!! Your doing a great job on the chair.Don't feel bad, i do all my work in the kitchen too...Kathy

beth said...

You are doing such an amazing job on that chair! I can't wait to see it all finished. :)
Hope you have a great week! Beth.

Sandra said...

I love the shabby look, but probably not practical for my group. I think it might end up really coming apart! haha. For the long term I would double welt. xoxo

Anonymous said...

When you do figure all this out, which *I know you will* because you always do such a beautiful job, I mean just look at those monogrammed slipcovers in that last post, anyway when you do figure this all out- let us know and dont spare any of the hairy details. I have one lone chair that needs some TLC. In the basement, missing its seat completely. So old, the fabric is just rotted, and it has the most beautiful bones a chair could have. But I am scared. I need someone to hold my hand and walk me through it so I will be waiting and watching while you endure the learning process. You have a beautiful chair and are off to a good start. It will get there.

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Kudos to you! I've never tackled a project like that. I like the look of the tacks!

Manuela

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Don't slow down....It is always worse before it gets better. Promise.

I LIKE the tacks...I would leave it like that for now, then whenever...add welt or gimp. Win win!

la maison LaFortune said...

I kinda like the tacks!

Nita Stacy said...

I like the tacks! Super great job!

Ticking and Toile said...

Your chair looks f a b u l o u s!! I would definitely LEAVE the tacks!!!! Oh please do! It just makes it looks so frenchy and fabulous! I am actually getting ready to do a couple chairs similar in style and I'm totally doing the tacks ~ no trim ~ I know there is the little issue of fraying etc...but what about the no-fray stuff? and if it gets too bad down the road just add trim then. love it and you are an amazing seamstress! I am also in love w/ those monogrammed slipcovers ~ does your machine do that? I want a machine that can.....I would be monogramming everything in sight!

Thanks for stopping by ~ hopefully room reveal tomorrow! It's done finally, just waiting on a little something....:)

Shellagh

Dayka Robinson said...

thanks for telling me it's difficult. mine's not really like yours (the bottom would be easier), but i was thinking about tackling it myself. may have to re-think . . . .

joanneinjax said...

I guess I must be getting old and out of touch, but this seed bag/exposed tack furniture reminds me of "The Emperor's New Clothes". Despite all the oohs and ahhs from the design world and blogs (which I cannot understand), I'll wager that one day the owners of such furniture will wake up and realize their furniture is NAKED!
Definitely go with the welt.
Love you blog,
Joanne