It’s that time of year when the oyster shells are calling me. Last year after I made my mirror and lamp, I’ve had so many requests from family and friends to do more. So I am.
We are so fortunate that the oyster shell industry opened back after after last year’s oil spill. Just before Christmas, I hauled a stash of fresh oyster shells home and have been cleaning, rinsing, bleaching, rinsing, and sorting them since. I even learned how to use my jig saw without cutting off any fingers. I’ve sanded all the boards, painted them, and are using french cleats for the hanging system. I’ve got 3 mirrors going right now.
This is the 36” X 28” rectangle almost complete, needs it’s last row of tiny shells.
Close up:
This is daughter’s whopper. It will be aproximately 47” in diameter. Needs many more rows, but this is a slow and tedious process. The outer rings have to dry completely before the inner rings can be put on.
The third mirror is an oval, like my originally one. No shells on that one yet, so I didn’t snap a picture. It’s sitting on the dining room table. And oyster shells are everywhere, in boxes sorted out by their size. Oyster shells have taken over my home, my thoughts and my dreams. So what am I going to do with all these mirrors and other oyster items? Not sure yet how I’ll procede but am thinking of a giveaway, stay in touch!
13 comments:
Wow turned out great!!! What a lot of painstaking work but worth it!!
Wow - this is amazing. It is so so beautiful. You should sell these through Etsy. They are gorgeous.
i love these. whoever gets one of these is very lucky.
You totally ROCK! That is absolutely amazing!!!! I seriously am in awe....
Gorgeous!
Smiles~
Cricket
You are amazing. Your creations are lovely. Your family is lucky, lucky, lucky! Happy New Year Doll! xoxo
P.S. I'm having a granddaughter. She needs a little oyster mirror ;-) XOXO
I love your creations!
You have become a professional oyster shell mirror maker! Maybe a shop is in your future!
They are absolutely beautiful. I never found enough oyster shells so I ended up just using a mix of beach shells that I already had.
I'm still not giving up. I really want something with oyster shells.
Continue to watch those fingers.
Rhonda
Can't wait for you to bring it over, that wall is looking so bare! Love you!
I fell in love with your mirror the minute I saw it. I also said, "I can do that too". So last week I started my hunt for shells. It wasn't as hard as I thought, but I think I just asked the right restaurant chef. I'm so glad you didn't talk about the labor intensive cleaning process. Holy cow, I've handled each shell a number of times, just to clean them. I can understand the $399 price. I'm surprised it isn't more. Now that the shells are all cleaned I am anxious to start putting it together. I have fallen in love with oyster shells thanks to you!
This mirror will definitely turn out very lovely! Love those shells.
Hi, My name is Bell (Im from Brazil to!) But a live here in NJ /USA I just LOVE the mirror from you and Wisteria (lot money for me), Im a craft lady to! You how I feeling! I look for buy the shells nobody sale! This because I ask you this, Sorry for bothering But a cant find a oyster shells to buy to make one this for me anywhere!
I look in diferente places! I want ask you something? Is possible if I pay the shipping and the package you please send the shells for me make the mirror you have in you dining room? my email is ubellamauri@hotmail.com thanks a lot and have a nice day!
I just came across you oyster mirrors. I'm in.. awe. They are stunning and EXACTLY what I'm looking for. Oh, if only I lived closer to you I'd commission one!
I'm on an insanely tight budget, but was wondering- where did you get your oyster shells from? I'm on the verge of asking the restaurant down the street! Thanks in advance.
I love your lamp and mirror. I'd love to get some Oyster shells to create my own. Do you know where I could find them for sale?
Post a Comment