Wednesday, February 16, 2011

More Oyster Shell Mirrors

I sure hope you are not tired of my posts about oyster shell mirrors, it is all I seem to be doing lately. I do love making them and it is such a soothing hobby.

Below is daughters that we delivered and hung last weekend in their home in Ft Walton Beach, FL. It looks amazing over their Aiden Gray buffet.

This round mirror turned out to be over 47 inches in diameter, but they really needed a huge piece to fill up the space. What a job my husband and I had getting it of my kitchen table and into the back of our SUV. Only 3 shells came off. We ended using a suction cup handle that glass companies use for large sheets of mirror and glass.

Here’s the rectangle one that I have finished. My husband wants me to sell or give it away to someone. I’m not so sure I can part with it.

100_1864

I’m working on some more as well as a different type that is going to be stunning. I am going to have to make a decision as to what I’m going to do with all these. I wish I had someone to market them, marketing is not my forte. Artistic creation is my thing to the point that if I’m not creating, I go crazy. Son, I paid for your degree in marketing, why did you have to move away to Charleston, SC?

Can you market them from there? I miss you much!

15 comments:

Sandra said...

I am definitely NOT tired of these posts. But I am JEALOUS ;-). You need to find a cute gift boutique that might sell them for you on consignment!! Check it out. You're going to be famous! xoxo

Ms. Bake-it said...

Great job! I love the oyster mirrors and have been wanting one for myself. There has to be some way for you to market and sell them. I agree with Preppy about seeking out a boutique. What about arts & craft shows in your area? Surely you could get a booth at something like that.

~ Tracy

Simone @ Doberman's by the Sea said...

Awesome~! You have talent girl!

Paula@SweetPea said...

I would love to have one of these and would buy it in a heart beat from you.

I thought about you a few weeks ago when we stopped at a seafood market at the beach. I took a photo of the mountain of oyster shells in front of the shop to share with my students. As I took it, I was thinking about your lovely mirror creations.

Judy said...

Just checking in to see how you are doing....love your oyster shell mirror (as always)...hope you are okay.

Judy

Nita Stacy said...

I love these and am not tired of hearing and seeing them. You could sell online if they weren't too heavy to ship and too fragile. Find a local shop that will carry them. Perhaps just have one on display and photos of all that you have created and take orders for them. Customers could decide how big of one they need and if they want it round or square.

You could do a monthly flea market or antique show...but I'm sure it's not good to be moving these around a lot. So don't think that would work.

Do a listing on Craigslist and say that they are made to order. I've seen customized furniture advertised on there.

Or set up a page here attached to your blog and have photos of all you've created and price and take orders for them...but specify that they are for local pick up only.

Good luck....I think you just need to put it out there that you'll make them for cash.

beth said...

How beautiful!!! I love your oyster shell mirrors!! Thanks so much for showing them off to us! :)
Hope you have a wonderful weekend!
Beth.

Terri said...

Those mirrors are beautiful! I thought of you the other day when I saw a lamp base adorned with oyster shells at a neat shop called Red Door in Baton Rouge. It was a tall slim white buffet type lamp and the oyster shells were arranged so that they projected out from the lamp. It was really gorgeous, a real work of art. You need to find a shop that accepts things on consignment. I know you could sell those mirrors for a pretty penny.

Theresa Cheek said...

MORE!!! You are killing me with all of these oyster shells. I love all of them.

Beach House Living said...

I think you mirrors are wonderful. I enjoy each and every one.

Terri said...

Hi there, again! Please hop on over and visit my blog and accept your blog award.....

Completely Coastal said...

Love the mirrors, just stunning!!

Anonymous said...

Sandi....I am inspired....I am currently on the gulf coast and have free oyster shells at my disposal....may I ask how you cleaned these shells? I am trying to look through your older posts, but haven't found the answer to this yet????? Thanks again for the inspriration...and I agree with the other commentors...sell these....so amazing......Andrea
AndeM1@hotmail.com

Nantucket Prairie said...

I have been inspired to try making one of these mirrors for my bedroom. Ordered the shells on ebay. Not much access to oyster shells here in OK. They are already pretty clean but was wondering if you could share with me your particular bleaching process?
Also, where did you find the smaller shells to edge
the inside of the oyster shells? Any helpful advice
appreciated.

Susan

Jennifer said...

I love these mirrors and tried one myself two years ago when I saw yours- but I had trouble with the shells falling off, even with the liquid nails. Can you tell me what you have found works the best to hold the shells on for the long-haul? the liquid nails or maybe something else?
Thank you SO much they are beautiful!