I’m so glad I decided to paint this buffet using Annie Sloan chalk paint from Southern Institute of Faux Finishing. It has made such a difference in the hall.
I left the design on the top for a little contrast. It seems to make the dark mirror not so out of place.
Here’s the before picture. Even though I love this buffet, the color has always bothered me. Everything looks so wrong, together I think. Here’s the link to the beginning process of painting.
Here’s after with a pair of lighter lamps.
I used the Louis Blue on the base, Old White on the trim and the Hannant’s clear wax followed by the dark wax. The dark was makes it look aged and not so bright. These wax products are so easy to use and dry quickly to give a low fume aged finish.
I really like it now.
I left the design on the top to see if I would like. I think I do, it is unusual and breaks up the large top. And those triangles of mahogany relate so well to the mirror that I might not have to white wash it like I thought I would.
Miss Mustard Seed was so right about this chalk paint. It is so easy and forgiving. It took very little time to complete this large piece. I love instant gratification and chalk paint really comes through. Now I’m eyeing what to do next. Order here.
Nita from Mod Vintage Life asked what I thought about the overall finish and the Hannant's wax finish, will it hold up, etc? Well, only time will tell for sure but here are a few observations: The finish is very smooth, no bubbles, or lumpy spots. It feels dry and hard enough for dusting. I did use my fingernail just now to see what would happen from a scratch. The first time I scratched my nail gently, no problem. The second time I scratched much harder and sure enough, I pulled off the wax and the paint. This does not bother me since I want the buffet to look distressed. I if were to do my kitchen cabinets in this chalk paint and wax, I'm sure there would have to be an additional step with some other type of harder finish to prevent the nicks and scratches. Does anyone else have info on how this finish will take wear and tear?
31 comments:
It's beautiful! It looks like it was meant to be this color. Love how you left the top and how it does tie in so well with the mirror.
What a GORGEOUS piece! It is definitely much better. Love the detail work on top. Wonderful work!
Lisa
I LOVE THIS! {yes, I am jumping up and down and screaming ;-)}. After I read your post yesterday, I got on the website and read all about the paint, waxes, etc. When and if I do this, I'll probably have lots of questions ;-). XOXO
I love it, Liz!! You did such a beautiful job!
Hope you have a wonderful day!
Beth.
Wow! This piece looks great painted this color. A friend of mine has used the chalk paint and she wasn't impressed at all till after she put the wax on. Is the finish smooth? Do you feel like it will hold up to regular wear and tear? It looks fabulous.
Looks fantastic! I love the detail on the top!
Great job! I am digging the chalk paint too..it is so fun to work with. You did an awesome job!
Great new look. I am loving the chalk paint, too. Easy and fast!
Looks beautiful! I am getting the itch for this chalk paint!
Gorgeous !!
I haven't tried the chalk paint yet, but I love the finish you achieved on your piece. I agree that the mirror still blends in well with it too.
What an amazing transformation! Time to buy me some chalk paint....!
Liz, This piece is gorgeous and I love the finish! I just found your lovely blog and I will definitely be back often.
Hugs,
Sherry
Thanks for more info on this...I can't believe you purposefully scratched it. Thanks for testing the finish!
Nice job on the buffet. Good to see how the prepared chalk paint works. Jane F.
Beautiful job! Congrats on your "new" piece! *Becca*
www.adventuresindecorating1.blogspot.com
beautiful!!!!!!ireally like the design on the top!!! keep it! is the hannants wax a lot easier to use than johnsons wax? just trying to decide if it is worth the extra bucks! happy friday... thanks for visiting today.
Love how this turned out. Love the top as well. You really did a nice job.
Beautiful piece! It looks great in your space!
I’m curious and would like your thoughts on a couple things.
I thought that this paint would stick to most finishes.
You said that you were able to scratch off the paint.
Do you think the paint was still fresh and not truly cured?
If it scratches off is it any different than latex?
Thanks for sharing, Becky
That is a really beautiful piece! It's that perfect color that I am so in love with! You did a fabulous job and to answer, I am not a professional upholsterer but thanks for the compliment!! Hope to see you again soon!
What an amazing difference! This is stunning!
Wow, this is gorgeous. I love love love the detail on the top. It's totally unexpected. Love it!
How stunning! Wow, two posts about chalk paint this morning and I'd never heard of it before. Worth a look, this finish is gorgeous. I think I'll be your next follower. Stop by and visit my site anytime!
Michelle
newengland-style.com
Hi - I wanted to thank you for your great comments on my blog! I wasnted to tell you that I think that your buffet is beautiful. Love that paint - looks very much like Limewash that I have used form Faux Effects. It's a great look. Very creative of you to do the design on the top - which makes it so unique! Realyy well done - beautiful! And now I have to make one 'cuase I loved yours so much!!
Linda
www.studioofdecorativearts.blogspot.com
This is such an amazing transformation! I have procrastinated buying her chalk paint. It is magic! Your piece looks truly antique!
Regarding you giveaway -I'll be happy to mention it on my blog. You can email me at completelycoastal@cox.net.
Didn't find you email.
Have a great celebrations in SC!!!!
Fabulous job - it looks so lovely. I need to check out that chalk paint as I've never heard of it. Congrats on a job well done.
In love a tell you! I am having a giveaway series over @ Screaming Meme...This week is a slipcover. I hope you get a chance to come by and sign up. And remember to check back to see more wonderful giveaways each week...Hope to see you there!
I just got duck egg blue and I am going to do some painting this weekend!! I can't wait to try this out.
Top Ten Classified Website List, Pakistani Classified Sites, USA Classifieds, Indian Classifieds, Entertainment Articles, Entertainment News, Entertainment Pictures, Bollywood, Hollywood and Lollywood Pictures and Videos, Entertainment Latest updates, Hot Entertainment News and Pictures Funny Entertainment Pictures, lol Pictures, Funny Pictures and every thing you want...
www.hotcurrentaffairs.com
Top Ten Classified Website List, Pakistani Classified Sites, USA Classifieds, Indian Classifieds, Entertainment Articles, Entertainment News, Entertainment Pictures, Bollywood, Hollywood and Lollywood Pictures and Videos, Entertainment Latest updates, Hot Entertainment News and Pictures Funny Entertainment Pictures, lol Pictures, Funny Pictures and every thing you want...
www.hotcurrentaffairs.com
Post a Comment