Last week daughter was here, she left on Saturday only for a week. She flies back this coming Sunday for Thanksgiving. Likewise, son, comes home on Monday. Have not seen him since Labor Day. So I suddenly realize that Thanksgiving seems to be a week early this year. I've got too much to do. But I did find Horchow's DREAM SALE on Saturday. It is still going on!!!! I bought gifts and things for the house also. Monogrammed towels for 2 guest baths. I'm on a huge cleaning binge... scrubbing baths, purging unwanted items, clutter, dust, cobwebs...where did they come from?
My Katrina damaged furniture in dinning room has all come back, refinished and looking grand. Had to leave drawers and doors open for 2 weeks as the odor was so strong. Now I'm washing the 3 sets of dishes, washing the antique Rose Medallion that sits on the hutch, polishing silver, to put everything away in it's rightful resting place. These family treasures have been boxed up, moved from house to house, garage to attic, and attic to house since Katrina. Nothing was left in our house during it's renovation. Some poor things took a beating just being moved around. the antique Rose Medallion, from MIL, so fragile and thin, survived. The beautiful set of blue & white Japan China Phoenix Bird dishes still are scattered in peices, up in my attic. I have not been able to face them yet. They came from my Mom's in MA and are very old. I feel so guilty. Hubby and daughter have said " Lets get them down and maybe repair what's left." I can only move forward in baby steps.
My Katrina damaged furniture in dinning room has all come back, refinished and looking grand. Had to leave drawers and doors open for 2 weeks as the odor was so strong. Now I'm washing the 3 sets of dishes, washing the antique Rose Medallion that sits on the hutch, polishing silver, to put everything away in it's rightful resting place. These family treasures have been boxed up, moved from house to house, garage to attic, and attic to house since Katrina. Nothing was left in our house during it's renovation. Some poor things took a beating just being moved around. the antique Rose Medallion, from MIL, so fragile and thin, survived. The beautiful set of blue & white Japan China Phoenix Bird dishes still are scattered in peices, up in my attic. I have not been able to face them yet. They came from my Mom's in MA and are very old. I feel so guilty. Hubby and daughter have said " Lets get them down and maybe repair what's left." I can only move forward in baby steps.
5 comments:
Hopefully the China will be repairable. Just think how much fun you are going to have getting to enjoy using all of your goodies again! It's going to feel like you're just getting them all over again! This is the way I feel about our wedding gifts-they are boxed at my parents' house in preparation for the Navy to move them. It's going to feel like wedding time all over again when we get to unpack them! I hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving together!
You are doing so well. One step at a time. Don't put too much pressure on yourself! Happy Turkey!
My mom has a house full of family heirlooms and I know the history of every one of them, so I understand how important they are to you. Baby steps,indeed. I hope with all my heart that they can be repaired.
- Belle Abroad
Dont forget to pick me up at the airport!!
Its really time to update, I tagged you on my blog! Hope your feeling better!
Post a Comment