Friday, June 4, 2010

Shabby French Chair, part 4

Remember this French chair makeover from January? It’s giving me fits!

Here’s what she looked like straight from EBay

Shabby French chair, part 1

100_0950_thumb3

I was on a roll pulling of the old upholstery, old foam, straw, and springs.

Shabby French Chair, part 2

100_0977_thumb[1]

Painting her was the easy part, although I painted her white, then grey, then creamy white before I was satisfied.

Shabby French Chair, part 3

100_1024_thumb[2]

Above is the first seat piece of linen, ugh! it didn’t work as I made cuts for the arms and back too soon. Ended up being short material. Then I cut a new seat bottom piece, I goofed that one also!

100_1298

And here is seat piece # 3. It still looks lumpy and bumpy but at least I didn’t cut away too much material so I could tack down along the arms and the back braces. This is the most difficult thing I’ve ever tackled. I have actually reupholstered a love seat…twice. That love seat looked soooo much better then this. Here the last reupholster job on that loveseat just prior to Katrina. I even lined up the big blocks of color! Oh, how I miss all my old furniture. :( And look, in the dinning room….there are the old slip covers from 2004, they were tossed in the trash pile as well. 2 X :( !

100_0499

Back to the French chair…

100_1302

Oh my, it’s still ugly, lumpy and bumpy! It may be because of the curvy French lines. Or maybe it’s because I’m so sick and tired with working this little chair!

100_1299

But no despair here. My original plan was to make a soft and squishy down filled pillow/seat to cover the seat bottom, with cute little sort ruffle/pleats. I’m hoping I can design the down cushion and the pleats to hid all the above mistakes. What do you think? Can I pull it off?

Make sure to check out all these great Friday party links:

furniture-feature-fridays-copy Favorite Things Friday_25 FrugaliciouFridaybutton-1 show and tell fridaysgitterdone-1

18 comments:

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...

I like your chair. I would love to find something like it and redo like you did.

Debra@CommonGround said...

Working with this type of chair was a booger, and I just did a chair slip on the bottom. So I kinda know what you're dealing with. I think a plumpy pillow on the seat will hide it, but honestly, I like the look, we always see every little thing! The material is gorgeous, thanks for showing us the "process".
Debra

Bumpkin on a Swing said...

Well the first thing you know Old Jeb's a millionaire, kin fols say Jeb move away from there. They say California is the place they oughta be and we packed up the bags and moved to Beverly!

Except for will be 30 years trying to recover our property value!

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

What a gorgeous chair!! If it's not perfect...so what. :)
I think it looks wonderful!

Ticking and Toile said...

Yes, you can pull it off! It looks great & with a pillow on the seat it will look absolutely perfect! So will you tell me what kind of tacks you used? I tried some furniture upholstery tacks on a chair I re-did and they were impossible to nail in....I just gave up & used piping to hide the edge. Do you have a trick?? :)

Thanks!
Shellagh

Deserae said...

Sounds like you have the same kind of luck as I do!!! LOL...Since you plan on making a down cushion I really think it will fine....it will be totally stunning when it is finished :o) Like the others I really think it looks fine as is.... we are always hardest on ourselves! Have a great weekend :o)
~Des

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

I love the chair and you're doing a great job. The fabric is similar to the one I used on my chair. You know who might be able to help you with this is Amy over at Design Intervention. She even has a similar seat on her header. Have you been there before? http://charishumin.blogspot.com/
She's very nice and very talented!

Blue Creek Home said...

"Can you pull it off" is the question, right?
My answer is a great big "YES, YOU CAN" - with your magic sewing fingers I am most certain you can!

It makes me sad that you miss your old furniture. Sorry.

Rhonda

Bama Girl said...

Thanks for visiting me over at Shopaholic in Alabama! :-) I love what you're doing with your chain! I have ZERO creativity so I'm amazed. And that sofa - I can see why you miss it - gorgeous!
Hang in there my MS friend. We'll *somehow* get through this. Fingers crossed no hurricanes. XOXO

KimMalk said...

Maybe you are just sick of working on it. It looks like a few snips and tucks of fabric would do the trick. Kudos for using tacks, so many people use staple these days. It is truly charming.

Atticmag said...

I think you're incredibly brave to strip and clip and whatever you end up with will look just great. I think I spotted something on another blog that was pretty amazing. Hope you'll stop by and get in on our glass vessel sink giveaway if you take a break. Jane F

Amy {Design Intervention} said...

Are we long lost twins?! Thanks for you sweet comment on my blog - - Hubby is in Afghanistan and yes, we do pray for his quick and safe return!! I have been sucked into your blog and I think we think alike!! I have been working on "lighter and brighter" in my house since we moved and I too am loving my white slipcovers!!! Loving all the little pleats and ruffles too!!!

Theresa Cheek said...

Keep going! It will be perfect in the end. I love the lines of the chair and know it will be classic when finished.

Nancy said...

I think you did a great job! And that love seat you reupholstered
-> WOW <- is all I can say!

Miss Mustard Seed said...

Well, the back looks great. I reupholstered a baloon back chair that had similar lines, but no arms,so I'm sure that makes it much trickier. It sounds like you need to take a break from it and then work at it again when you're fresh. I sometimes have to do that with things that aren't turning out like I want.

The bright side is that it is a lovely chair, you've got the skills to reupholster it, and at the very worst, you can make a cushion or slipcover to hide the bumps, just like you said.

You're doing a wonderful job and were so brave to take it on. I can't wait to see the reveal. :)

Kelly @ Much To Do With Nothing said...

So many beautiful chairs and slips. I kept scrolling down and finding more and more of them. I love the way you put all of the ties on them. Makes ya crazy.. doesn't it? But they look so good in the end.
Kelly

Cass @ That Old House said...

What a sweet little chair, and I think you are BRAVE for taking on the reupholstery in the first place. Way braver than I, that's for sure!

Think of your false starts on the seat as your learning curve; every "boo boo" we make -- in decorating or in life -- is a little more we've learned!

Just make a soft "squab" type cushion for the seat, with a generous overhanging ruffle or pleated edge -- it would look wonderful!

I think you did a great job; I'd have been weeping in the corner, long before this stage! Looking forward to the finished reveal.
Cass

Princess Freckles said...

Its really coming along! I bet a little pillow will do just the trick! That couch from pre-Katrina is so pretty! I can't believe you did that yourself!