Monday, May 3, 2010

ooh, ooh that smell, can’t you smell that smell…

On occasion, depending on the winds, we can smell oil here in Diamondhead, MS. Keep in mind the weather here has been horrible for the last 4 days. No oil yet on our beaches, but we can smell it.

100_1228

Please fly away, you sweet Least Terns, please fly away! This picture was taken yesterday, off the beachfront in Bay St Louis on a drive-out fishing pier. The innocent Least Terns are so used to sharing their nesting spots with humans that they don’t even fly away when cars or people come close to them. The Least Terns have protected nesting beds all along our 27 mile beach coastline here in Mississippi. Sadly, this is their nesting season. You can just imagine what might happen to them.

I want to introduce you you to these amazing blogs that here in this region. These girls share the same fears that we all do on the entire Gulf Coast.

Bumpkin on a Swing and her Captain John are Mississippi neighbors here that are trying to help in every way possible. This blog is amazing and a must read for up-date info in our local area. Bumpkin is Worried Sick right now.

NOLA GIRL wrote an amazing post so eloquently and factual. She says all the things I wish I could say, but I break down and cry in trying to do so. Please read her amazing post: Feeling Helpless but not hopeless.

As for me, I’m signing up for some of the classes being offered to assist in the clean-up. I am quite depressed but realize I need to do something to help and keep busy. This is pretty much the attitude of my all Mississippi neighbors that pulled through Katrina. We blame no one (our entire country is oil dependent, so the blame is on all of us)... do not blame or diss any one entity. Spend your thoughts on what you can do to help us here in the Gulf Coast Region.

Katrina was a natural disaster... this oil spill is a man made disaster. We residents know the first response is up to the locals and the citizens. NOT THE GOVERNMENT. We realize we have to rise up and help our community and ourselves. Does the rest of our great country understand this attitude?

12 comments:

Lisa said...

We will be going to NOLA next week to watch my daughter graduate from Tulane. My heart aches for the people in your community who have already endured so much tragedy. I am praying with you for a miracle.

Joanna said...

I can only imagine what it's like since your so close...we are praying that they figure out something, soon!

I'maNolaGirl said...

Well, said! I added a few links to my post that will help those not able to get there hands dirty in the clean up efforts find a way to reach out to those who are.

Thanks for your efforts! Each person counts!

Rose H (UK) said...

If only my thoughts could help.
I most ernestly hope that you and your community can escape the disaster and all will be safe.
Sending my very best wishes to you all.
Rose H

Princess Freckles said...

My heart is breaking as I hear more of the news from the Gulf Coast. My father lives on Florida's Gulf Coast, and I have fallen in love with the beach, everglades and ecosystem there. You are right in the thick of things! I am praying that clean up can be done quickly so that not too much of your beautiful coastline is lost. Your community has been through too much already....

Sandra said...

I think working and volunteering and helping is the only way to deal with this. I am like you. I would have to get involved. Hugs to you honey. xoxo

Anonymous said...

We have not started smelling it yet but I'm sure we will soon. Praying that they do something soon. It's so sad. Take care!

Lila said...

I'm so sorry. We do understand and I wish I lived nearby to help. Our prayers are with everyone affected by the oil spills!
Lila Ferraro
Queen Bedroom Sets

Far From Perfect said...

Hi My friend!!thinking about you and this awful situation. People don't realize that this oil spill even effects us here up north.Hope something gets figured out. Thinkink about all the wildlife- the migrating birds etc....
Thinking about ya all- from Nebraska

Beach House Living said...

The spill is a horrific disaster. Sadly, it will affect so much life for years to come.

Nishant said...

The spill is a horrific disaster.
free classified india

Anonymous said...

男人有了外遇,但是他不想離婚
在外遇情人面前,他可以享受著年輕戀愛般的美好
在回歸家庭時刻,他可以享受著老婆對他無微不至的照顧
在同事朋友面前,他可以享受著眾人對他的忌妒與羨慕
男人有了外遇,但是他不想離婚,他只想自私的擁有一切