Friday, December 17, 2010

The nightmare goes on…

The Katrina nightmare will never end for so many of us here on the Gulf Coast. I consider my ongoing Katrina problems a piece of cake compared to so many others here. At least 6 of my neighbors have found out they have Chinese drywall installed in their Katrina flooded homes. When everyone was just starting to rebuild here, because the entire region was devastated and wiped out, supplies were far and few to be found. So guess where most everyone’s sheetrock or drywall came from….yep, China. Good friend’s of ours have to file bankruptcy, walk away from their Chinese dry walled home, and start over with nothing but their lives. They put their life savings into rebuilding their home after Katrina. This past year after all their appliances started exploding, they investigated. Chinese drywall was the culprit, it erodes all the electrical wiring and appliances in the house. Everything in one’s home begins to smell like to rotten eggs (sulfur) and is no longer able to be salvaged. Not to mention the serious health effects that can be incurred if you live in a home with Chinese drywall. There are many law suits pending but for now there is little hope available for people that have to move out of their homes because of this issue. 4 of my neighbors have moved out, left their homes, who knows what will happen to these homes and my neighbors.

I pray every day that we don’t have Chinese drywall. I consider us lucky that we don’t, so far. We do have a myriad of other Katrina related problems due to faulty workmanship, rip-off artists, and unscrupulous subcontractors as we were so desperate to rebuild and get back home. This is our biggest issue and project #1. We have hired the PREMIER custom home builder on the Coast and are willing to pay more so that HE deals with the subcontractors, not me. And, yes, he started today, a week before Christmas. But I’m feeling lucky and blessed and promise to roll with it. My husband has been after me for 4 years now to get all this fixed. I just couldn’t deal with having workers in and out of my house. Until now. The week before Christmas. UGHH!

WARNING: These are NOT pretty pictures, so turn away now if you have a weak tummy!

I’ll be showing the progress of big issue #1: Our Master Bath shower:

100_1786

All this was brand new, installed after Katrina. Almost lovely until you look closely at the details. The grout or lack of, was not applied correctly. The step-up that the glass frame and door sits on should have been beveled. It also was incorrectly grouted.

100_1791

The shower seat as well, should have had some type of beveled edge, the grout is nasty and falling apart. You can see mold everywhere as the grout issue allows water to seep in.

100_1793

See the hole right in front of the glass below? One of the many OOPS! And the nasty, falling off grout? I want gross you out anymore, I sure ya’ll get my point.

100_1792

8:00am this morning, the glass surround and door was up.

100_1795

A few minutes later, the glass company arrived to take it down. Assuming it would be an hour project. HA! 6 hours later, blow torches, screws sawed off and broken glass I now have this:

100_1799

This is what should remain, ready for the granite guy to come in and start ripping up tiles. And the granite guy is Brazilian and really cute. Supposed to be the best around. I feel blessed. I wonder if he’ll let me take his picture?

No, really, I do count my blessings. We don’t have Chinese drywall.

7 comments:

Sandra said...

I've read about the Chinese drywall on several different occasions. How those unscrupulous contractors, workmen, etc. can sleep at night is a mystery to me. So sorry to hear about your neighbors. We always have to look on the bright side though - you can fix your problems, and you have a cute granite guy for our viewing pleasure - hehe. Hope Don and Leroy don't get jealous ;-) Xoxo

Deserae said...

My heart breaks for you and all the other people who had to endure Katrina's wrath. I pray to God you don't have Chinese drywall....I can't imagine the heartbreak your neighbors are going thu :o( I hope you get all your problems fixed with out a lot of dramma and can finally sit back and enjoy your home without all the worry and stress. Happy Holidays :o)
~Des

Nita Stacy said...

This is the first I've heard of Chinese Drywall....how terrible. Yes, I do hope you don't have it. How do you know if you have it....when things start to smell and the appliances quit? Just terrible. I sometimes think the Chinese are waging war against us...through the lethal products we buy from there. I just assume anything from there is not safe for human consumption. Just awful. What a mess to have at Christmas.

Maya @ Completely Coastal said...

Oh, gosh..., I was just reading this out loud to my husband who knows a lot about "building stuff"..., and the China thing..., if that's any indication of the future... where are we headed!!

We are actually rebuilding our shower too right now..., tiling it ourselves.

I wish you all the very best!!

Leo said...

Good luck on the bathroom project...how sad about the Chinese drywall issue. I have not heard of this before. This is unbelievable and so sad.

WhiteWhispers2u said...

What a heart break I have not even heard about this chinese drywall insane! Ya, what more could people go through.My prayers go out to all of them.I like to buy good old USA.Happy Holidays~Cheers Kim

nomo wino daph said...

I pray that 2011 brings you many blessings!! Happy New Year, Friend! Much Love, Daphne