It’s almost done!
Yesterday I glued on the 2 outer rings of shells on, let them dry
Today I glued on the tiny shells around the mirror, let them dry. Then glued on ring # 3 since they do not touch the very inner ring of tiny shells. I placed ring # 4 on, just to make sure I have the right size shells and enough of them. They are not yet glued on as ring #3 and #5 of tiny shells need to set at least 24 hours. There are spots where I need to add very tiny pieces of shell to hide the board.
Now, here’s my biggest worry and lesson learned. What will this baby weigh when it’s finished? !? I have no clue! The hanging kit that I installed on the back is for 50 lbs maximum. If this weighs more then 50 lbs, I have to turn it shell side down and put a new hanging kit on. Which could disturb, break, or knock of shells!
Let’s hope it’s not more then 50 lbs. I can’t wait to hang it, somewhere. Not sure where it will end up. I expect I’ll have husband move a few times! I do so love the texture that these shells have. Delightful to look at.
15 comments:
Thanks for your comments. I am very grateful that we still have power. I am loving your mirror. I have a bag of shells that we have collected from Destin, I need to use them to frame a mirror too.
Thanks for sharing
Pam
Oh my... I've been following your steps on this mirror and it's turning out gorgeous! I sure hope it weighs less than 50 lbs...but if not, it would be a beautiful centerpiece for a table! I love the texture of the oyster shells...you're very inspirational, I think I could try a small one. Thanks so much for sharing!
Sharlotte
This looks just like your go-by image!!! You are amazing!!!
If I make one, I think I will make it smaller...maybe a compact!!!!
Rhonda
It is fabulous!! If you do have to change the hardware on the back, lay it on a pillow or lots of bubble wrap or something soft that will cushion it so nothing happens to it! You are amazing. xoxo
It is fabulous!! When I clicked on your link, I thought to myself, I wonder what that mirror will weigh?? I hope that it is not over 50 lb so that your hardware will be sufficient.
it is great!!!!
if it weighs more than 50 lb, have your husband just hold it up while you install a new hanging kit.
Love, love how this has turned out!!! Just a hint for anyone wanting to do this....paint the wood frame an "oyster" color first so the spaces won't stand out as much. I know you are filling in the small holes,but the color adds more depth. You could even use spray paint grey! Can't wait to see it hung...
I have come back to look at your mirror over and over and I'm just now telling you how amazing it is! You have just created the kind of piece that people pay zillions of dollars for. It's gorgeous!
I must confess that when you first started down this journey with the oyster shells, I just couldn't imagine how it would all come together. But, you truly have amazing vision for the finished product and the process. Wow! Incredible. Great, great job.
Ann
I so love the rustic look of the oyster shells. Great piece! And true, the weight could be an issue, I would have not thought of that either. Hope it all works out.
I think yours is even prettier than your inspiration piece.
Visiting you via Wonderful World of Weiners.
That's a work of art! It looks really fabulous!
Manuela
it looks SO good!
You did a fabulous job. I am now following you and would love to have you come by and follow me as well. I have an awesome give-a-ways all month long for my followers.
Thanks for your sweet comments-yes migraines are haorrendous. Thankfully I have been able to keep them at bay and the couple I have had, I haven't gotten as sick as when I was diagnosed. My Dad has them and my husband has another form of them. There are 2 types-Classic and Common. I pray non of my kids ever develop them.
I look forward to getting to know you better.
I am going to be having a Tutorial Thursday starting and would love to have you scehdule a tutorial on your mirror--let me know.
Cheri
cheri.peoples@live.com
If you were able to do this with the oyster shells and match Wisteria, I can do my number chest and copy cat Anthropologie! You did a great job on the mirror. Any oyster mountain I pass will definately make me stop. Thanks for your support on my project.
Post a Comment