Saturday, January 16, 2010

Repurposing my hutch

This cherry hutch was given to us about 20 years ago from my MIL. It’s very nice, has a ton of storage in the bottom half, survived Katrina, got refinished but somehow I have never really LOVED the way it looks in my dining room. SSHHHH! Don’t tell husband or MIL!

Never found anything to put on the shelves but this set of Rose Medallion, also a gift from MIL. The hutch takes up too much visual space in my small dining room.

DSCN0784

I’ve painted the bead board back many times, thought about painting the entire thing creamy white! I’d love it but husband and MIL would die. They don’t get the painting furniture thing! This was from 2 years ago when room was green.

DSCN0606

The only time I like it is at Christmas when a swag goes over it.

100_0446

Judy at Gracious Southern Living inspired me with her beautiful post on her sideboards. I love the look of sideboards, especially with lamps and a mirror. So I did the only thing possible. I took the top of the hutch! Found the NO Paint from 3 paint jobs ago. Got out my Palladian Blue.

100_0734

BEHOLD my sort of sideboard!

100_0739

Keep in mind I borrowed the lamps and mirror from other spots just to see how this might look.

100_0740

And I still have all my china storage.

100_0743

I love the way this looks and opens up the room.

100_0745

100_0746

100_0747

Now I’m looking for a larger mirror and a slimmer pair of lamps to replace these, got a few ideas I’ll post on later! Oh, I’m storing the hutch top in daughter’s closet and taking advantage of the shelves to store paper towels, dry swiffers, tissue paper, etc. So the hutch top has finally found it’s true calling! :)

13 comments:

Judy said...

Love the sideboard "topless"! Your room is simply gorgeous...so serene and classic.

You are very kind in your comments about me being an inspiration for your sideboard re-do, such a compliment coming from someone as talented as you!

Hugs!
Judy

Donna said...

The room looks great...like it had a great facelift! The top was like a large looming spot in the room and now it looks sleek, clean, updated and chic!! Great idea to think out of the box which is hard to do sometimes when you get used to things.

Liz said...

Looks great! Why didn't we think of that sooner?

Sandra said...

Love that mirror! And, this is the perfect look!! So, what to do with the top? xoxo

Pam said...

Love it. I think it is beautiful with the top off . Loving the entire room

Milk & Cookie Party said...

Great vision! Love the look without the hutch. The blue is stunning too. Love the pictures of your slipcovers too. You are a genius with the sewing machine!

Paula@SweetPea said...

Taking the top off of the hutch really does open up your room. It's great that you can still use the top in another room for storage.

Blue Creek Home said...

Boy, what a difference that makes. I love it when you have a shopping list-looking for lamps and a mirror will be fun.

*Your sweet comments are way too kind!! Thanks.
Rhonda

beth said...

That was a great idea! It looks really nice in your dining room! :)

Far From Perfect said...

Have the day off...NLK Day!! Hi from your friend in Nebraska...

Robyn said...

I think that really worked! Love the new look!
robyn
mysoutherncottage.com

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Love, LOVE that! It looks soooo gorgeous. I like the mirror that you have over it.

Manuela

Unknown said...

Love it. Looks wonderful.