I’ve been working on my oyster shells all week. The biggest problem is to get rid do the terrible fishy smell. I googled how to clean shells and read lots of advice. I’m trying the BLEACH treatment.
Here’s some shells before bleaching. I washed them and still need to scrape off barnacles.
This batch came out of the bleach solution. They lost their grayish tint (which I love) and now have more creamy brownish shades.
My bleaching tub. 4 gallons of bleach and some rain water that poured down over night.
Close up of the bleached oyster shells.
Still very pretty. But how do they smell? This is my biggest issue right now. I brought a couple shells into the house, just to test the smell factor. Right now, I do not smell anything unless I pick them up and sniff them . They smell…BLEACHY WEIRD!
This is what I’m dreaming to make. Wisteria, $399. plus shipping and tax. I don’t know if I can make it or if it will be a total flop! But I’m going to give it my best!
I would love any advice from any one out there in blog land about shells, getting rid of the smell, or making a mirror!
Teresa from Art’s The Answer asked about finding oyster shells. Check out her amazing, beautiful blog.
Teresa, here a some links to sea food factories. Sea food factories here do deliver 18 wheeler loads of crushed oyster shells. I’m sure you could get a delivery of whole shells from a oyster place in Texas.
You could call some closest to you in Texas and they should give you advice or help. Good luck and let me know what you find out. Here are the FDA links:
13 comments:
I have been doing the same thing!!! But, I only brought a few oyster shells home from a restaurant.
I cleaned up the little yucky stuff and then wrapped them in tin foil and baked the heck out of them - on 450 for like ever!
Then I ran them through the dishwasher!! G-Man wasn't real happy with the smell! But, those 2 oysters are still odorless and I did it about 3 weeks ago!
I am beginning to believe we may have been separated at birth!!!
You make your mirror first and inspire me more!!!
I still have to come up with a source for lots of oyster shells...I couldn't possible eat that many raw oysters!!
Rhonda
Can't help with the fishy smell but that mirror is stunning. Hurry up and make yours!
Judy
I have seen this mirror up close at the Wisteria outlet and it is wonderful. They even have an issue with the shells coming loose.
I was also going to suggest baking them, but I see that someone who's actually done it suggested it and it works.
This is a neat project and is sure to look great when you finish it.
Now, I may be the most impressed with you ever! That mirror is just lovely! It looks like it was made for your house. It really does! xoxo
A million thanks for the links for getting oyster shells! I am on it! Thank you also for mentioning my blog!! :)
You've got lots of beautiful oyster shells there! Can't help you with the smell or the mirror, but I can't wait to see your finished project! :)
Have a great day! Beth.
A few years ago Cottage Living featured a fire place in the home of one of its style editors....I'll remember the name in a minute. Shadduck? Anyway, the person who lived in this house collected oyster shells and then glued them onto her firplace surround. It was absolutely stunning and so unique.
OOOH! Found the picture!
http://homegiveawaydiary.myhomeideas.com/home_giveaway_diary/2008/08/you-say-oyster.html
She had them run through an idustrial dishwasher with bleach. I knew I had read that somewhere. Maybe that might help you with your oyster smell? I say try it in your home DW. Can't hurt!
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_n1Jgy6WlY9E/SiaNmIqx07I/AAAAAAAAB0E/-gve_7D7tIY/s1600-h/cottage+living.jpg
Here is another pic of that mantle. I'm obsessed with it ;)
Love it!
I know you can do this! Can't wait to see the finished product.
That is the coolest thing I've ever seen! It's so unique. Absoutly beautiful.
Kelly
bleach is the only way. courage! you can do this!
Post a Comment