Saturday, February 9, 2008

My New Old Clock

This is an E. N. Welch Co. Ogge clock that has been in husband's family for over 50 years. He had it shipped from Falmouth, MA when he went up there before Christmas. It dates back to the late 1800's and is very good condition.


We had to bring it to our clock repairman in Ocean Springs, MS.....actually twice between January and February. Just got it home today and it is working great. It is a 30 hour wind clock with heavy weights.





First, we put it on fireplace mantel but it competed too much with my Cathe Calhoun Pelican picture. Tried it few other places before decided to hang on wall here. Mr. Englehardt, the wonderful man that repairs clocks told us this interesting story.... around the time of the Revolutionary War, our American ancestors began making clocks. They needed a cheap clock for their humble homes as the French and English clocks were so expensive. With typical American ingenuity, they used local trees for the wood, fabricated inexpensive interior parts and sold these clocks for a few dollars. All the clock companies that sprung up in the New England area thought people would buy a new clock every few years. In essence, theses clocks were meant to be "throw-aways". But these clocks kept on working and working...they were even imported to Europe since they were so cheap. But the clock companies all eventually went out of business as the demand was no longer there. With a little love and care these beautiful clocks are still ticking today!







6 comments:

Preppy Lizard said...

The clock is so beautiful and what a wonderful family piece.

Judy said...

I love old family pieces like this and I love where you've picked to hang it. I've never seen this view of your home (from den to dining and foyer) and it's sooo pretty -- of course, I think your whole house is gorgeous.
Been getting plans up for our Savannah and Charleston trip - we leave in 2 weeks. Shopping for clothes(of course) and started a major clean up project at home. When we get back I hope to start on our hardwood floors and re-decorate completely the office/nursery.
Talk to you soon - Judy

Belle said...

How interesting! I think it's a beautiful clock as well. Beautiful clock, beautiful home... wow.

Cena @ Unexpected Necessities said...

Hi,
Your house is gorgeous! I've just started blogging, so check out my blog when you have a chance. I live about 2 hours from you in Laurel!

Cena @ Unexpected Necessities said...

Thanks for your reply! Our old house only had minor shingle damage, but we watched large pine trees crash into all of our neighbors' homes. I had a chance to get out of Laurel before Katrina hit, but my husband did not want to leave. We did leave 3 or 4 days after and went to see his clients on the East Coast. I was ready to see lights at night!
Of course, this is nothing like what y'all went through. I am curious, though....Did y'all ride out the storm on the coast?

Cena

Kim said...

Gorgeous! Wish we had interesting family pieces. I guess we'll just have to buy stuff for our kids to fight over since our parents don't have anything good! ha!