Monday, December 7, 2009

CHRISTMAS TREES PAST

Our very first Christmas, 32 years ago we were newlyweds with no money and certainly no Christmas decorations. So I baked sugar cookies, decorated them and hung them on our little tree. As I’m finishing up my decorations this year, I’m thinking back to all the different trees I’ve done.

After the cookie tree, I made these muslin stuffed things.

100_0477

The tree was pink and white with pink, green, and white glass balls.

100_0476

100_0478

Then 7 years later daughter was born. I started collecting all the cute little baby girl things to use on her tree.

100_0465

Her teething ring, her teddy bear birth announcement complements of the hospital, baby shoes…

100_0466

Her collection grew over the years

100_0467

lots of teddy bears, angels, dolls…

100_0468

ballerinas (daughter studied classical ballet for 9 years)

100_0469

adorable angels from the German village at Disney world

100_0470

a collection can grow so fast…

100_0471

soda can angel ( I’ll explain shortly)

100_0472

100_0474

So this is daughter’s collection.

100_0475

Anything that was collected and given to us in red/green or toy nature became son’s collection….

100_0488

100_0482

100_0487

the kids painted these nutcrackers one year

100_0486

Mickey Mouse from Disney trips

100_0485

Look there’s BOBBY! Bobby came in 1984, an original mini cabbage patch doll

Yes, Liz he is really yours, he just didn’t theme correctly in your collection

100_0484

The soda can ornaments! Being the librarian and art teacher at my children's private elementary school, I was compelled to enter the community library Christmas tree contest. Ornaments had to be CHEAP, the students had to be able to make them, and they had to be CREATIVE in order to win a prize. One year we did the soda can FROSTY, SANTAS , REINDEERS, TOY SOLDIERS, ELVES, and ANGELS.

100_0481

It took the students over a month to complete them, step by step as each class came to the art room only once a week

100_0480

They are the cutest things ever, brings back great memories, and our tree won 1st place in the school tree category that year!

100_0479

While I have not used these 2 collections in many years, they are still loved and cherished, and waiting to be handed down to a little girl and boy!

6 comments:

Liz said...

Bobby!! I miss that thing, its alot uglier than I remember!

beth said...

Wow! Look at all them ornaments! You have a nice collection there. :)
Have a great day. Beth.

Princess Freckles said...

I have so many ballerina ornaments from over the years too! I think I could decorate a tree in only ballet ornaments. In fact, I spot two in Liz's collection that I own too!

What Kate Wore said...

The muslin ornaments are just fabulous, I love them. The way everything has a story is priceless, precious and dear. (Except Bobby, he is a little wacky.) You are so talented!

Sending you a smile,
tp

Maya @ Completely Coastal said...

The cans are so brilliant!! And what a collection! I took the liberty and included your fabulous garland in my Wed post.

Girly Stuff said...

I recognized a few of those ornaments!

I bet the soda pop tree looked too cool!