Wednesday, December 9, 2009

GARLAND LOVE ~ a garland disaster ~ problem solving

I use a lot of garlands at Christmas mainly because they are so versatile. You can put them just about any where and they don’t take up floor space! In my quest to to add some Christmas cheer to very room, garlands are the answer.

I feel in love with these cascading garlands, so full and lush. They are perfect to put in daughter’s room, out of the way for David as he still uses his wheelchair at night.

100_0405

So this weekend, I finally added the decorations to them: PEARL WHITE, SOFT GOLD, GOLDEN STRING STARS with PEARLS. I was in love with them, just enough bling to look perfect in this room.

100_0495

Then it donned on me: “What to do with cords hanging down wall?”

100_0496

Why did I put those ornaments up before solving the cord issue.

100_0497

Hubby’s suggestion was to run the 2 cords down the middle if the mirror. Goodness, NO! The mirror would stick out and likely fall down with all that fiddling.

After thinking about this for 4 days, I decided to make my own cascading garland, hanging off original with thus hiding cords.

100_0498

My first attempt to add the long garland, the curtain rod mollies pulled right out of the wall, brought the whole thing crashing to floor, ornaments and all. I was so mad, had to walk away from it, no pictures, what a mess! The stars are glittered…. UUGGHH!

So cleaned the mess up, then used Command hooks down the wall and wired garland to them.

100_0499

Working so far.

100_0500

The garlands appear to be connected but they are not. Now I have to add more ornaments and lights. I’m painting old ornaments. We’ll see…

100_0501

to be continued….

4 comments:

Blue Creek Home said...

I hate you had such bad luck!
I have just started taking the broom everywhere I go because I am going to break an ornament!!!

Can't wait to see what you did. I know it will be good!
Rhonda

Cass @ That Old House said...

Oh my gosh, what a trial! Next year: battery operated lights! (They do look beautiful, though!)
Cass

Judy said...

Lookin' good so far. What a genius idea to use the command hooks, I've never tried them.

Your garland accident sounds like something that would happen to me! I can't wait to see the end result.

Judy

This Little Hen said...

Can't wait to see how they turn out!