Monday, January 18, 2010

OYSTERING IN THE PASS

Saturday was raining with a chance of more rain so hubby couldn’t play golf. I had just the solution for “what to do on a rainy day before we watch the Saints game”! We went oystering in The Pass. The Pass is Pass Christian, MS, pronounced Pass kris-chee-ANNN. Never Pass KRIS-chan! Katrina brought total destruction to The Pass, it is slowly rebuilding. It has some of the most amazing beach front mansions that survived and alas, many did not.

I decided I just had to have OYSTER SHELLS for a project and needed a man to help me brave the unknown territory of the biggest oyster factory around:

CRYSTAL SEAS OYSTERS

This place is huge, this is just the office area. Husband went to the office asking to buy oyster shells. They looked at him like he was a crazy man. They said “Go back down to Oyster Mountain and take as many as you want.”

100_0777 so we drove way to the back

100_0780

passing 5 of these 18 wheelers ready to take oysters all over the country

100_0787

down to the end

100_0785

to OYSTER MOUNTAIN!

100_0782

Crazy Man Husband saying” I can’t believe the things I do for you”! It was a nasty, messy job. We put on our leather gloves and tossed shells till we got a huge bin of lovely barnacled oyster shells.

100_0783

I think we made a dent in OYSTER MOUNTAIN. :)

100_0779

100_0781

Then we drove around the PASS downtown which there is not much left on. The only place to eat now is SHAGGY’S on the Gulf of Mexico and the the harbor.

100_0799

Pirate flag for David!

100_0793

100_0796

100_0794

Inside there is only heavy plastic covering the open windows. In better weather the plastic is rolled up so the view of the Gulf and harbor are spectacular.

100_0788

It’s a little bit Caribbean, a little bit Buffet, and all relaxed Gulf Coast style. How can I not love it with the TURQUOISE table tops?

100_0791

Local station with the SAINTS pregame tailgating.

100_0792

Husband had OYSTER Po-Boy.

100_0789

I got the Caesar salad with Jamaican Jerk chicken and

100_0790

a tub full of beautiful OYSTER SHELLS!

100_0800

Project oyster shell to follow!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a wonderful day! Two GIRL friends and I went to a sports bar and watch da Saints. One is a NOLA transplant and the other's boyfriend is from NOLA (and moved here after Katrina). Can't wait to see what you're gonna do with the Oyster Shells. I grew up 60 miles from Houston on the coast (near Freeport) and MANY roads and driveways were crushed oyster shells!

Princess Freckles said...

What an adventure! That Po-Boy looks to dies for! And your salad too! I love jerk chicken.

Paula@SweetPea said...

I can't imagine what you might have up your sleeve to need so many oyster shells. The bar where you ate looks like my kind of place!

Granna said...

Last time we were in Pass Christian we ate at Shaggy's...loved it! Have you ever eaten at Harbor View? It used to be on the main road there but was blown away by Katrina. Can't tell you how to get there now, but they have the BEST shrimp poboys! I've from Tupelo, MS by the way!

Sandra said...

How fun to live driving distance from such a neat place. and that food - I'm dying here. Can't wait to see what you are going to create! xoox

Landlocked Mermaid said...

I am laughing at what those men probably thought when your husband offered to buy some shells. with that pile they probably would have paid you to take some away..I see a lot of oyster projects in your future! gorgeous! xo

Robyn said...

My parents live on the Gulf Coast and 2 months after Katrina, we toured all the way down 90 until they had it blocked. I couldn't believe all of the homes were gone!
Will have to try Shaggys next time we are down there.

Theresa Cheek said...

I am so jealous!! I have been on a quest for a truck bed load of oyster shells for a year. I live in northeast Texas, just far enough from the coast for it to be an effort. Any ideas ?