Thursday, January 10, 2008

THE MAN WHO WON'T WEAR PANTS

I'd like to share a Katrina story... a story about a little town, it's surrounding community, and the people struggling against a challenge that may not end for another decade....a story about the man who will not wear pants...




This is Eddie Favre, cousin to Brett Favre of Green Bay Packer fame, crusty yet sincere character, newlywed, Mayor of Bay St Louis, MS, and the infamous "man who refuses to wear pants". When President Bush first came to our area to survey the Katrina damage...Eddie had on the only thing he owned. Months later, President Bush spoke at St Stanislaus College Prep in January 2006, many people were aghast that the Mayor of Bay St Louis, Eddie Favre was in shorts again. President Bush even commented in his speech that day: " I arrive here at this important school and he's got short pants on. Eddie, I like a man who sticks to his guns." Eddie has attended numerous Senate Hearings, a White House Gala, and his own wedding 8 months ago....dressed in shorts.




You see, Eddie, like all most everyone else is his little town and the surrounding county, lost everything but the clothes on his back when Katrina hit. In Eddie's case, he had on flip flops, a t-shirt, and shorts. The town itself and all it's infrastructure was completely gone. And like so many of the heroes here, Eddie and the local police, firemen, and townspeople spent the next days and weeks searching, seeking out, and rescuing all of the trapped and stranded souls that could not help themselves. There was no Coast Guard here, no Fema, no Red Cross, no National Guard for at least 2 weeks. Volunteers would come eventually, along with all the other help but in the initial aftermath, it was just us. We were cut off from the world. We heard and saw the helicopters overheard constantly but they didn't land or drop anything. It was just us. Helping ourselves and each other.









So Eddie decided that he needed to send a message. When President Bush made his initial visit to Bay St Louis, many local and state officials offered to give Eddie pants and better clothes for the photo op. But Eddie refused. He felt that it would send the message that everything was OK and it was certainly not OK. It was far, far from normal. So Eddie vowed to his people, to all of us, that he would continue to wear shorts until things were back to normal. He became a symbol of the continuing desperate needs of a community, a symbol to all of us to stay courageous and dedicated to our goals and this beautiful area we love.






We have come a long way, but there is still such much to do. It is estimated that the entire Coast won't be whole again until another 15 years. We give our undying thanks to the thousands of volunteers that have come from all over our country and world. You have given us your time and money.



These volunteers are still here, still giving and still sacrificing their own jobs, families, and lives. We will never forget what you have done for us and are still doing.






And Eddie stills wears shorts.








You can read about Eddie and my beloved Gulf Coast here: http://www.smliving.net/

11 comments:

workinthatpreppy said...

great story...i love someone who will stand for what they believe is right...or wrong...

Jennifer said...

Wonderful story. It is great that someone in the postion that Eddie maintains doesn't let a thing like image get in the way of what he believes. I know the Gulf coast has a long way in continuing to cover. It is a prayer our entire family keeps near to our hearts. Many Blessings as you and your loved ones continue to put your lives back together,
Jen

ps-Thank you for stopping by my blog. I do hope you will return.

Sue said...

Hi,
Thank you so much for your kind comment on my blog. Aaron is not improving and his oxygen level is dropping. Please continue to pray. I am so happy to hear that you have come through your bouts with your allergic reactions, it is giving me hope.
God bless you and the brave souls of Bay St. Louis all all surrounding areas. What a wonderful story that you shared.
Hugs,
Sue

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.

Belle said...

Thanks for sharing this story. Sounds like a good guy to me. I've really enjoyed reading your blog and seeing pics of your beautiful home. Good luck with everything!

The Adventures of Maverick & the Mrs. said...

Hopefully people will continue to give their time, efforts, and money to get things back to a point that's as close as possible to the way life was before Katrina. Our youth group heads to Gulfport each year to help. Hopefully all is back to normal at your household.

Karen H. said...

Good Afternoon,
"THANK YOU" so much for stopping by my blog the other day and leaving me such kind and encouraging comments. I so appreciate it very much. I must say that this story here is such an Inspiring story. I'm glad that Mr. Eddie has continued to wear his shorts and stand up for what he believes in. I so remember when the Gulf Coast got hit by Katrina. My heart just broke by watching all of the devastation on the t.v. stations. It was such a shame that is took so long for help to get down there to help all those people. I do know that my DH and his Uncle were team driving for the company they are back with now, and they carried some supplies down to some town in Louisiana. I can't remember the name of the town now, but I do remember it tho. I know the Gulf Coast has come a long way since Katrina, but even tho it may take several years to get up and going again, I know GOD is going to make that place a more better place than it was before. "THANK YOU" for sharing such a lovely story. I enjoyed it so much. I do hope you enjoyed your visit at my place. Just know, that you are always Welcome at my place anytime. Take care my friend and and have a great day. May God Bless You and Yours.

Hugs,
Karen H.

Judy said...

Sandi darlin': I've been out of town this weekend but peeked at your e-mail to me on Saturday night. Once I can play catch up I'll get back with you.

Judy

The Mrs. said...

What a wonderful post. That is true, he should not put pants on until things are really back to some kind of normal. It's so far from that now. I hope he's out of his shorts soon!!!

PaperCourt said...

Great story! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Awesome story!