Sunday, January 6, 2008

SEARED SCALLOPS

Oh how I love scallops. Bay scallops or sea scallops, either one is fine with me. Scallops rank a B+ on the nutritional analysis chart, they don't get an A because they are slightly high in cholesterol. But they are low in calories, high in essential nutrients, and low in fats. But don't add the calories and fat in the cooking process.

This is how I've learned to cook them simply. Use a large flat pan, drizzle a little extra virgin olive oil and heat on high. Salt and pepper one side of the scallop.

Place scallop, salt and pepper side down, wiggle slightly so scallop does not stick. Sear for about 2 minutes, salt and pepper that side.


Flip scallop over, another 2 minutes. The scallops should have a nice golden brown crust.



They're done. I put mine on a bed of spinach fettuccine, and served with sauteed baby carrots, broccoli, and shallots.








Really yummy!





Anyone else have a good scallop recipe to share?



3 comments:

Kim said...

Looks delicious! Since I grew up in landlocked Nebraska, I am always slightly afraid of cooking seafood (no problem with a hunk of beef, but a little shrimp or scallop scares me!)

Thanks for stopping by my blog, it seems like everybody who blogs has preschoolers, so thanks for joining me in the big girls club!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hi, Sandi, that looks delicious! I have never cooked scallops at home, so no recipes to share. thanks for your kind comments & encouragement to start my decorating business. I think I'm finally ready to tackle that & it's what I'll be working toward this year. Glad to hear it has worked out for you too (and judging from your beautiful house, I can see why!). I'm also happy to hear that you are feeling hope for the first time in a long while. I wish you the very best for this coming New Year!

Rhoda

Judy said...

Hey Sandi! Believe it or not, I almost e-mailed you to tell you we were going to be in Biloxi but I never seemed to get around to it. Had a hair appt. Thursday night and when I got home I had to pack then of course we HAD to leave early Friday (hubby complaining all the way to mall for me to buy pants). I told him the casino wasn't going anywhere! I'll sure let you know next time we come down. I'm supposed to go to my best friends this weekend in LA (lower Alabama) and will post pictures of her beautiful home when I get back.
Judy