Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Families, Loyalty, and Love

Daughter's sweet best friend is also her fiance's sister. Their parents live here in this private community where we live. So, sufficed to say, our families are quite similar, the kids have same family backgrounds...loving family that is there no matter what...to help support them. That is a wonderful thing. My future son in law's Mom is so adorable and sweet...last night she came by with this gift below for me to carry in my vehicle for bridal shower. She, her Mom, and her daughter are all flying in Friday night to Shreveport for the shower. Her daughter, my daughter's best friend and SIL 's sister has final exams through Friday. She has to take her finals, drive 5 1/2 hours from Ole Miss to here, then go airport and fly to Shreveport for hhmm, total 8 hour flight time. How devoted is that?
My day today was totally changed. Hubby told me last night that his trip to White Sands, NM was postponed. That meant that since I did not have to drive him to the airport today, that I needed to take full responsibility for his Mom's colonoscopy. She was to have her sweet neighbor bring her home after procedure. . I all ways say "help someone like you would help your own Mother". My Mother is 84, lives in Massachusetts and I have to trust that my family there takes care of her since, I, her only daughter, am so far away. So yes, I was up at 4:30 am to call Mother in law, pick her up at 6:00am, drive to hospital to check her in at 6:45 am....surgery procedure was scheduled for 7:30 am. So I'm waiting in the surgery/waiting room and about 9:15 I asked the pink lady about my MIL. She had no news. At 9:30am I get a call from surgical nurse that she has not gone into surgery yet. Nurse didn't know how much longer and told me they would keep me updated.. So I came home. Finally at 11:15am I get a call that she is going into surgery. Seems her surgeon took all his other surgical patients before her, even though we were there at 6:45am. At 1:15 pm, I meet with surgeon and got her in my vehicle. Stayed with her at her home for 2 1/2 hours as she regained strength, ate food, & got fluids back into her system. Wow, it takes an entire day out of one's life to help a loved one with simple procedure. Wondering what the future has in store for me.
Families...ya gotta love them and help them!

6 comments:

Pam said...

What a wonderful DIL you are and your daughter is one blessed girl to have a Mom like you!

Sue said...

Bless your heart! Having planned and executed a wedding last year for my son I know how precious each and every day before the event is. Even when duty calls it is so unnerving. Hope your MIL is doing well ~

Etiquettely Correct said...

What a kind and patient daughter you are. Your family is very blessed to have you

Stacy @ The Next-to-Nothing House said...

I pray to have a DIL like you someday! Your family is so lucky to have you. If I lived closer I would give you a hand with that wedding. It seems that I've become the unofficial wedding planner in my family :)

Belle said...

So funny you would write about this. I just posted my own revelation about my Mother growing older and needing to help her more. I'm also wondering what else is in store. Good luck with everything. I hope she knows what a wonderful DIL she has!

Anonymous said...

It is fabulous that you are so devoted to your family. I am sure that you are a blessing to them!
Have a Happy Mother's Day this weekend!
~Jen