Wednesday, November 11, 2009

LOVE LETTERS, RIPPED BOOKS, OLD BEACH SCENE, and WEST ELM

What do all these things have in common? They are my inspirations for doing over son’s old bedroom. I’ve been poking around in my attic, looking at all the things that were never brought downstairs since Katrina.

I found this lovely stack of old love letters, kept by Mrs. James H. Wahl, (Helen to her friends) or Great Grammie to her family. Great Grammie was a fascinating woman, a “Flapper” in her teens in the 1920’s, white water rafting in Colorado at age 85, and going around the world on the Queen Elizabeth II at 87. She loved life and lived to be 104 years young.


100_0366


This one, written by her dad is to her future husband, is so fascinating. It’s dated July 31 ‘23.


100_0367


Ward Bryant Hoag responds to James H Wahl giving his blessing and Helen’s hand in marriage. His reply was so gracious and etiquettely correct as those times were.


100_0369


I found this old beach scene that we inherited from Great Grammie – I love the soft muted colors!


100_0371


Can’t figure out who this artist is, but on the back of the painting is this…


100_0372


“Bought at Columbian Exhibition in Philadelphia about 1890 – famous artist”


100_0373


Jen at Sanctuary Arts at Home always inspires me….I bought these ripped, “coverless books” from her Etsy shop.


100_0365


And last, West Elms Organic cotton pin tuck duvet and pillow shams…


100_0328


very inviting and dreamy….


100_0364



Little by little, this simple redo is coming together. It is chock full of family treasures and memories. I’ve got to get it finished before son comes home for Thanksgiving, which includes cleaning out the closet where I’ve been hiding all my unfinished projects. Uggh! So much to do.


Many thanks and blessings to all our brave men and women as we celebrate this Veteran’s Day!


I'm joining Cindy at My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday! Go check it out!

show and tell fridays

15 comments:

southerninspiration said...

Love what you are doing!!!

Suzanne

Sandra said...

I love it. What fabulous treasures. You are so lucky to have all of those! xoxo

Paula@SweetPea said...

I loved looking at your family treasures and getting a glimpse of your room makeover.

Tricia said...

Those treasures are so fun! Did you see last month's issue of Southern Living mag where a man had an old addressed letter blown up and framed? It looked incredible and would be fun to do with your old letters. Love the new bedding too, can't wait to see the finished product.

Stacey said...

I can't wait to see what you are doing with those beautiful old letters? Did you see Southern Living where the guy enlarged an old envelope from a family member and put it on the wall? Beautiful!

PINK POPPY said...

love each & every one of those elements...can't wait to see how it all comes together :)

Little Lizard King said...

I'm dying to see what you do with these things. I have a box full of my late grandma's love letters, and I need some inspiration.

littlelizardking.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

How lucky you are to have those letters. Looks like you're having fun.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

What treasures! Thanks for sharing.

Free Art Printables said...

Thanks for mentioning me! :) I am so glad the books go so well! I am eager to see the end result!

TQ said...

My mind drifts just pondering about combining them to make a story.

... If only antiques could talk ...

Thanks for sharing and have a GRAND weekend.

Dayle ~ A Collection of Days said...

Your treasures are fabulous. You should try and get a ticket to Antiques Road Show with that painting. May be worth a small fortune. Your letters are fascinating, as well. I'm a lover of old letters and have been fortunate to hang onto some from all sides of our families. I've written about the tragedy of this lost art--writing letters. Makes me sad.

Stacey said...

It's the October issue that has the letters framed on the wall. I tried to find it on the SL website and couldn't.

Try this link:


http://www.atticmag.com/2009/10/southern-living-magazine-moderns-up/

beth said...

The room is going to look beautiful! I just love old letters, and that new bedding is perfect! Can't wait to see it all finished. :)

prashant said...

It looked incredible and would be fun to do with your old letters.


Make website india