Friday, November 6, 2009

My Heroes

These two wonderful children of mine are my heroes!

IMG_6288

David has been working so hard to be able to use crutches. He is able to walk for short periods of time with crutches. Since he has mastered this balance skill, they were able to get a long weekend pass to leave Walter Reed and have a mini vacation any where they wanted. And they chose to drive 7 hours north on I-95 to visit my Mother. She has not been well, David has never met her. David was in Iraq 2 years ago during Liz’s last visit. My Mother was unable to travel South for their wedding a year and a half ago. They will spend time with my Mother. They have lifted her spirits tremendously, she has been devastated since the news of Dave's accident this past May. Liz is named after my Mother, using her first name, Elizabeth, and my maiden name as Liz’s middle name. Liz inherited all my Mother’s drive, determination, and spunk.

I am so proud of them both for packing up their Land Rover, wheel chair, crutches, and all, and making this drive. While Liz has made trips to Boston/Falmouth almost every year of her life, she has only flown this distance from Mississippi to Boston. She truly has drive, determination, and spunk! And we all know that David has these qualities, just witness his life these past 7 months!

Last night they enjoyed Lobster rolls at Liam Maguire’s on Main St Falmouth

liam-maguires-irish-pub-falmouth-ma-540x524

On Sunday, they will do Sunday Brunch at the Coonamessett Inn meeting Capt Tom Bushy, MMA, and his wife, dear friends of ours and the best man at our wedding.

grounds2

and I know a trip to Falmouth won't be complete for Liz unless she eats here

6747971

The Casino Wharf looking out on Vineyard Sound.

They have lots of cousins waiting to meet them, lots of treasured childhood spots that Liz can’t wait to show David.

May you have the most enjoyable weekend ever filled with glorious sunsets, tender moments, and treasured memories.

You both deserve all this and more!

12original_med_48191461

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I pray with you for these 2 wonderful young folks. They have come a long way together. Blessings
QMM

Fran said...

That was a very sweet and touching post. They have just done an amazing job handling everything that has happened. I am not sure I could have handled it has well. They truly deserved the title of heroes.

Fran

Sandra said...

Oh my what a wonderful post. I mean I have cold chills, Sandi. I mean how unselfish they both are! I'm gonna have to pat both of us on the back; I think we are pretty good at raising children ;-) xoxo

Milk & Cookie Party said...

You have such a precious family. I love reading your posts!

Pam said...

They are both so inspiring! I am so proud of David and the strength and determination he shows. Liz is salt of the earth!!!!!

The Preppy Princess said...

Oh my, this made me want to reach through the internet and hug them both. Thank you for sharing the update, and for writing such a beautiful, loving post.

Hugs and prayers to all,
tp

Nishant said...

They have just done an amazing job handling everything that has happened.


Work from home India