Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Meet & Greet at the Red River Board Room

My biggest issue for the last 3 months has been how to handle the "Meet & Greet" for all our Out of Towns Guests on Thursday night when most will arrive in Shreveport. Daughter and I have looked at and considered so many different venues, catering services, restaurants, etc. Not any one combination made me ecstatic. And I have to be ecstatic to commit to something. I am finally ECSTATIC, but it requires a whole lot of additional money. This is a picture of the Shreveport Convention Center. See that lovely circular room? That is the Red River Board Room and it is breathtaking! It overlooks the river and city views, when I first walked in, my socks were knocked off. Being a Board Room, I thought surely it was beyond my financial reach, or they would not allow food and beverage in it.
Well, since my group is small compared to the Convention Center's capacity, they steered me toward this lovely Board Room. I wish I had better pictures for you, will after event is over. THE WONDERFUL THING ABOUT THIS IS....it is connected to the Shreveport Hilton where we are all staying. So my tired guests, who have driven or flown many hours (6-8 hours for most people) can check into their luxurious room...brand new Hilton, walk to lobby, and into the Convention Center without going out of doors, they are connected. You can see the upper level walkway in the picture below. I'm happy with this, my guests will love me, it is way too expensive....so many charges, fees, and I have to use their food service. I told myself...time to bite the bullet.

One of their stipulations is a million dollar insurance policy, many public venues require this. My insurance company does not do this, so I have to buy it from the Convention Center, 19% gratuity, 8.65 % state tax, $500 room fee, bartender fees, food costs, drinks..... etc . Does it ever end? Hopefully, some day! But for now, I'm ecstatic that I've got this lovely venue, my guests will be happy that they don't have to drive somewhere else. I'll post the menu once it is finalized. PS ... I have at a minimum of 10 pages of contracts to sign, initial, and witness sign for this Baby!!!
What do you think? Did I do the right thing? Hubby says " I don't want to know, just do it!"

7 comments:

Etiquettely Correct said...

Your guests will be so thankful! That is so thoughtful of you to host an event like that. The insurance policies are ridiculous - my parents had to do the same thing for my reception.

Liz said...

Happy Anniversary! I told him the ring doesnt count anymore....he has to get another present this year!

Preppy Lizard said...

The view sounds amazing! I am sure it will be wonderful there. Can't wait to see pics!

Cena @ Unexpected Necessities said...

Your only daughter only gets married once! If you can afford it, do it. Your hubby is a good man to leave it all in your hands. Hopefully one day we can do the same for Jancie!

Kim said...

That's it, I have to start saving now and hope that the girls don't get married for about ten years!

so tired said...

Well, if your husband is ok with it... how can you go wrong?

Anonymous said...

The idea of visiting with your out-of-town guests is really great! It is hard to see everyone on wedding day, so you will at least feel like no one was neglected. Your guests will appreciate all you have done for them I am sure!
It is rather ridiculous that you have to go through all of the contract signings, but society has changed imensely over the last 50 years and there are people who would abuse the place. My sister is getting married next month and she has struggled with all of this as well.