Tuesday, August 26, 2008

My Evacuation Undies....

This is my UNDIE EVACUATION BOX....


So I have been sanding & painting furiously since I posted last. Finished daughter's bath & bedroom except for the trim paint. Was so happy we escaped Fay....just a rain event and not flooding like my poor neighboring southern states had. So sorry for all of you. TELL ME YOUR STORIES, I'M SO SYMPATHETIC!
Planning to drive to daughter & son-in-law's on Friday for a lovely Labor day weekend. As I'm preparing to do trim paint I'm listening to news. News is not good....
Gustav.

The GFDL (GEOPHYSICAL FLUID DYNAMICS LABORATORY) has been the most accurate model. It predicted Fay most correctly.


And the GFDL has Gustav coming right at us/ New Orleans/Mouth of Mississippi River just like Katrina.
GUSTAV could be pretty BAD ASS!
So, I'm putting away all painting stuff, picking up the mess, calmly trying to remember what I need to do next. We have not been threatened like this since Katrina.

Mother-in-law was summering in Rhode Island with her hubby when Katrina hit. Hubby died shortly after, so MIL stays here year round now. We've got to think about her.


Ya'll remember when I first staring blogging....I was struggling to come out of PTSD due to Katrina. I was told to journal, write, or chronicle my thoughts. I chose BLOGGING. Well, it worked, along with planning daughter's wedding. When I read my oldest posts, I find a different person, not the me I am now.


So laugh with me or at me....

Below is one of my first posts...I was devastated cuz I had no underwear and had to dig through boxes of donated underwear...new or used...I had no clue. No means to wash clothes for many weeks. I had flooded clothes that we hung out to dry that were wearable. In my closet the clothes were hanging high enough that they did not succumb to the fate of my undies. My undies, being in low chests of drawers that flooded with sewer water, yea, did you know that if your home floods above the toilets...you have all your sewer waste flooding your home too! Lovely!!!!! So undies got tossed in trash heaps.

Self Confessed Lamp Tramp: Undies Matter


So, early November after Katrina, when I was trying to repair 3 homes simultaneously, husband finally realized I needed to get out of Katrinaville. I accompanied him to Canoga Park, CA. I shopped at the Nordstrom's Rack there.
I bought more underwear than I could possible wear in 4 life times. I put at least a 2 week's worth in a special box. These untouched undies have been sitting-in-waiting to be worn.
This box is the most important item to be packed, along with the important papers box, medical supplies, food supplies, etc
Yes, my Undie Evacuation Box is out, ready to pack in car!

19 comments:

Preppy Lizard said...

I'll say a prayer for everyone in NOLA that Gustav isn't as bad as they are saying. Glad you have your undies safe. Hopefully you won't have to use that emergency box!!!

Unknown said...

Hi,
I'm about 3 and 1/2 hours north of NOLA and Katrina was pretty bad here.
I'll be keeping up with the weather...I have a son in grad school there now.

Hope you won't have to leave again.
I just discovered your blog a few days ago, and will look around some!
diane

Cena @ Unexpected Necessities said...

Lamp Tramp...I'm with you! I honestly believe that God would not send another earth-shattering hurricane our way again; however, if He decides to, I am heading north. I'm only 2 hours from you, but Katrina was still horrible in our area. Plus no power for 2 weeks + the added bonus of a nearly 2 year old does not make for happy times!!

If you need somewhere to go, you can hang out at my hopefully empty house! ha ha

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

Oooh, thank you for coming back to take a peek at my site. I was so pleased to see your name there. I admire your decorating ideas very much! I had to laugh when I first opened your new post. At first I thought..."is this in case the hubby gets a spontaneous romantic idea and wants to go away for the weekend with very little notice?" Hee-hee. As I read on I was reminded of your previous posts about Katrina. I'm very sorry you had to go through that. I find the older I get the more God gives me opportunities to take a glimpse at what's truly important in this life. When we were in our 20's, who knew what we were signing up for??? However, most people would agree that they have learned the most during their hardest trials.
Well, Sara's "reveal" should be ready by the weekend...stay tuned. : )
Regards,
Mary Lou @thehouseofwhimsy

PINK POPPY said...

I really can not IMAGINE what you & so many others have gone through...and what an awful heartwrenching feeling....anticipating the bad weather & how you will fair....my heart goes out to you...and hopefully hurricane season will be over before you know it. BTW...very pretty undies! :)

Karin said...

I saw the weather earlier and my heart just sank. Oh, I am praying for Gustav to turn into Cuba or where ever that mountain terrain is- the weather guy said that might break up the energy of the storm a bit.

Good think you got your undies ready, though. Be prepared. I'd be doing the same thing, girl.

Fingers crossed!!!

Tricia said...

Fay is hitting us with lots of rain right now. Of course we are safe in Alabama. I was glad to see you have a plan in place. Good Luck.

duchess said...

I pray that you won't have to load that undies box & that the storm will avoid you.
We'll track it with you.

Unknown said...

Hi,
Me again. I'm from Meridian...near the Alabama line.

Talked to my son awhile ago, and I think they will evacuate by Friday. I hope so...don't want to take any chances.

I have a first cousin in Bay St. Louis that lost her home in Katrina.

Email me if there is anything we can do for you. We get lots of evacuaees here in Meridian.
Diane

Leslie said...

Oh I sure pray that everyone will be able to weather the storm. I can't belive all that you have been through! So glad you have pretty undies to get you through the tough times, it is the little things that soon become luxuries! Keep us posted!

Anonymous said...

Here we go again! I just wanted to check in on you. I filled our cars with gas but you know I can go through that in days. I did stock up on a few things but Im just trying to let it sink in... We may be in the same boat...again. I wanted to let you know that I was still on the lookout for that tassle idea you were asking about. Im having a hard time finding one. Maybe with Christmas decorations soon I just may be able to find one. Im sorry it has taken me so long. Im on the look out for another Yorkie topper too. Not that easy to come by. Please take care and I pray that you and your family are all safe. I will keep in touch! Hang in there....smiles~

Anonymous said...

Oh how I hope that Gustav turns away! You are the first person I thought of when we heard the news yesterday. All of us (the kids, too) have been praying that it weaken. I know how much rain we have received in North Alabama the last three days from Fay & could not imagine it being worse.
It is comforting to see that you have kept a little humor (that is the only way I can describe it) regarding it all. I admire your courage and your strength. We'll be following the storm and hope you donn't have to evacuate.

Please, if you need ANYTHING, let us know.
Blessings,
Jen

Free Art Printables said...

OMGosh. You are in my prayers. I hope you stay dry! Good luck and keep those undies close! :) Jen R

Belle said...

I love your undie evacuation kit! It's beautiful just like everything else you touch. :)
I'm watching the weather closely and praying for you. Remember, you always have a place in KY to bunker down in! Good Luck!!

Twice as Nice said...

Since I just recently found your blog I didn't know you suffered through Katrina-so sorry! I pray the weather changes and no one has to suffer again. Your home is just getting beautiful again and I hope you don't have to bust open the new panties!

Sue said...

Oh sweetie, I am so praying that you folks won't have to go through the awful trauma that you all have so bravely struggled to overcome these last few years.
If you should decide that you really want to get out of town and are looking for a place to go, get on a plane and head up here to Michigan, we have lots of room!
Keep us posted and God bless,
Sue

Suburban prep said...

I used to work at the Nordstrom in Canoga Park (moons ago).
I will pray that the storm doesn't hit your area and that it just dies down.

Judy said...

Stay safe my friend....let me know how you are after Gustav. Don't know how hard it will hit us.

Hugs!
Judy

Anonymous said...

Hi Sandy,
I am praying that you will be spared from the threat of Gustav..You have been through too much already. Your humor and enthusiasm for life will get you through whatever life throws at you regardless.
I am also keeping the rest of your lovely family in my prayers. Keep posting (when you can) to let us know how you are all doing. Stay well.
Hugs,
Cheryl - Toronto