Saturday, August 30, 2008

We'll be safe!

We are very fortunate that we have a special place to evacuate to. It is 20 minutes from our home, which gives us the opportunity to make the decision to leave at the very last minute. It is a bomb proof building, we've evacuated there many, many times. We lived there for 3 weeks after Katrina, sleeping on the floor, but got to come back to our house to work every day. So rest assured, that's where we will be, along with MIL. She is a nervous wreck, this will be her first time to evacuate. Thought I'd show you a map where we are. You can see how close we are to New Orleans. We are north of I-10, but see the Bay of St Louis? We sit at the top of the Bay. That's why we are vulnerable, all that water. We will likely be in the Northeast quadrant of Gustav, which is the worst possible to be in. So watch for the final land strike, you'll have a clue of how we fared. We won't know for a day or two, when it's safe to return home.
Thanks for all your prayers!

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Sandi,
I'm so glad you have a safe place close to home. I know that is important. I can imagine that I would want to go home as soon as possible to survey the damage.

My son is here...brought his important stuff with him. I'm so glad he didn't wait til today...it looks hectic there from the TV

I feel so for those that have to evacuate! It has to be hard to leave your home.

We are getting ready here.....we've stocked up the pantry, and bought batteries. Tomorrow or Monday we'll secure stuff on the porches...just in case.

Good luck!
diane

duchess said...

So sorry you have to go through this again but thankful that you have a safe place to be.

You are definitely in our prayers.
Thanks for keeping us posted.

Wifer said...

Praying for you! Be safe lovey

Pam said...

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Judy said...

Sandi: I'll continue praying for the safety of your family and all in the path of Gustav(sp?)....we're hoping we he won't roar into central Ala. the first of next week.

Love ya,
Judy

Karin said...

I'm so glad you'll be safe, but also so sorry this is happening :( Let us out here in blogland know how you are doing as soon as you can.

Anonymous said...

Sandi, We are Keeping you and your family in our thoughts and prayers. I hate that you are having to be faced with this again, but I am so glad you have a safe place to be.

Be careful. We be watching and hoping for the best.
Blessings,
Jen

Anonymous said...

Im so glad to hear that yall will have a safe place to stay. We are still going back and forth about leaving... It's so scary when you have 3 kids that are looking to you for their saftey. Please take care and we will all be in prayer for each other~

Sue said...

Bless your heart. We sure will be praying for you and all your neighbors along the gulf shores.

Far From Perfect said...

I will be thinking/prayer for you all- To have to go through this has to nerve racking...God Bless you & your neighbors.

The Nester said...

I woke up at 3 am last night wondering how you and your family {ok and your lamps} were. I had to turn on the tv and get an update.

My husband had to ask twice what your 'name' was!

Glad you are safe and sound!

and thank you for sharing those heart wrenching photos from 3 years ago.

preppy little dress AKA "PLD" said...

hope you and your family are safe and sound!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sandi, just to let you know that you have constantly been on my mind & in our prayers the last couple of days. I also hope you MIL is doing well with all of this as well. I know you are safe, and I sure hope that all is well when you return home.
xo, Jen

so tired said...

I've been wondering about you and checking back to see if you have posted. I hope you are ok.

And of course, I'm terribly curious about this bomb proof building you are holed up in.

Thanks for the map. That helps picture where you are.

Princess Freckles said...

You are such an inspiration. I hope everything is fine at your home, and I'm so glad to know that you've had a safe place to stay! I've been thinking about you and praying for you all weekend!