Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Countdown to finishing projects

I have so many unfinished projects and new projects that need to be taken care of. My motivator to do all these things is…..I committed to hosting a SURPRISE 80TH birthday 3 day celebration here for my MIL. Lots of relatives coming for many states, as well as the KICK-OFF Cocktail party with all her local friends. MIL is a social butterfly.

So, my challenge is set in stone…time frame…first week of June. These next few weeks, I’ll be updating all these projects.

Ya’ll know I’ve been RE-PAINTING my home since last summer and Katrina. My living room, with 16 foot ceilings, 9 cased openings or doorway trim, and 18 cut-off, mitered chair rail ends is beyond my scope of painting.

I broke down and hired a “meticulous painter” to redo this room for the 3rd time since Katrina.

He was here yesterday, it’s done, all but putting the room back together. That’s my job for today. I’m still cleaning up all the sanding dust off the wood floor….this takes forever. Here some pictures from yesterday:

7:00 AM I take room apart, painter has to move this too big piece. I did empty shelves, great time to clean dust off stuff

living room painting 001

Painter has plenty of room to get around….

See the chair rail that stops and it's mitered cap? The sheetrock above and near each of these ends were all globed with sheetrock mud. Painter # 1 and painter # 2 couldn’t seem to smooth it off after Katrina new sheet rock. There are 18 of these spots around room, that’s a lot of sheet rock dust ready to be airborne.

living room painting 002

His work in progress…. He is also fixing the lines where the new paint meets the white trim around the 9 cased openings or doorways….

living room painting 004

He refloated, dried, and sanded each of the 18 ends of chair rail….

See the difference between the new and old color?

living room painting 005

New color is much lighter and brighter….

living room painting 006

You can really see new color below….Painter was a little camera shy. He could not understand why I was taking pictures.

living room painting 010

So today I’m putting it all back and I’m a happy lady!

The third time did the trick! I love this man so much, he’s calling me back with so more estimates!

11 comments:

CMB said...

Looks great! I just had our dining room painted lighter and brighter last week. We will be having a graduation party and lots of out of town guests and that has lit the fire under me to finish up some of the things that I have been procrastinating about. I have always said that I work best under pressure! Looking forward to seeing the rest of your projects and glad you are back!

Lazy Mom Leslie said...

Nothing like a deadline to get a girl moving! I'm assuming your MIL doesn't read your blog? What a sweet DIL you are to host!

Joanna said...

Oh it looks great! Sometimes a shade of color makes a huge difference.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to see you back online! I've missed you. :) The walls look wonderful! I love that clean color. It brightens the room nicely. How great that you found a painter who does such wonderful work. It sounds like you have great things coming up. A party will be so much fun. I am on a little blogging break, but will enjoy catching up with you. Hope all is well.
~Jennifer

Princess Freckles said...

Beautiful color! I like how bright it is, while still being neutral. Good luck planning the party! That should be fun!

beth said...

Thank you so much for the sweet comment on my blog. :) I love the new paint color!! I love light colors. My living room started out an olive green color, and I quickly realized that I didn't like it. I lived with it for a couple of years before I painted it a light grey-blue. I love the new color!! Nothing like a light paint color to brighten our homes and our moods. :) Thanks again for stopping by my blog. Beth.

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

First off, let me congratulate you on your decision to hire someone else to do that HUGE job. Smart girl. I hired a cute little old meticulous man to wallpaper our insane kitchen a couple of years ago. Best decision I ever made. : )
Second, I was saddened to read of your son's friend loosing his life while serving recently. I would be happy to pray for that little family.
And last... you must be so proud of your son who is graduating. Congratulations to him (and his parents). : )

Anonymous said...

I love the new color. fresh and clean...would love a paint guy of my own~

Belle said...

Whew. What a job! So glad its finally done. Love the lighter shade.

Have a great day!
Belle

Linda Merrill said...

Hey! Looking forward to seeing a beautiful glass lamp in your home soon!

Maya said...

That is quite a project. I like the new color, and all the white trim is just gorgeous!