Tuesday, April 14, 2009

WHITE LINEN RUFFLED SLIP COVER

I am no expert in sewing, for sure. Most of the time I learn from my dumb mistakes, sometimes not too happy with results. If you can sew, then you sure can do some fun things for your home. I even made window treatments for a number of years. It was a great way to make extra cash, stay at home, and work at my own leisure.

Preppy 101 asked for some pictures/instructions while making this slip. I wish I had taken pictures all along.

Here’s my feeble attempt to explain how I made this.

I used large wrapping paper (just some cheap stuff), laid it out, then traced outline of the chair back, no picture but I sure you can visualize that.

Cut material using paper pattern and sew together front and back pieces of chair. I constantly put back on chair to see how much adjustments to make.

You don’t want it to be too tight as would be difficult to take off and on.

This material is perfect for slipcovers and easier sewing. It is a tissue linen. A flax linen or heavier weight material would be very difficult to make ruffles with.

PICTURE 1

006

Again using craft/wrapping paper, cut pattern for seat, then cut material. Turn top piece inside out, slip over chair. then pin bottom seat to front of the top slip.

sew to front.

PICTURE 2

005

I didn’t take picture of next step, the skirt. Lots of options for a skirt. I wanted the multiple ruffles, but still needed a plain skirt attached to sew the ruffles on to.

Below you can see the bottom skirt already sewn on as I attaching ruffles.

PICTURE 3

009

Making the ruffles was time consuming. I wanted the ruffles to be full so I used 3 X the diameter around the chair

PICTURE 4

001

Sew the three strips together.

PICTURE 5

002

Hemmed one edge with a 1/4 inch hem. Then using a long stitch, MAKE SURE TO BACKSTITCH at start. Use a long baste stitch on machine, stitch thru entire length of material, but don’t backstitch at the end. Pull the top thread, keep pulling and pulling, easing the ruffles all the way down to opposite end.

PICTURE 6

007

Pin ruffle on bottom skirt making adjustments as you work around chair. I put the bottom ruffle on first, then worked up. See PICTURE 3

I put 4 layers of ruffles on.

010

Here she is finished, back in daughter’s room. Sooo not perfect, but I’m happy with my efforts.

014

Now I need to finished the slips for dinning room chairs. These will be different, not so fluffy!

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my, how cute is that chair? You are a good seamstress and a talented decorator.

Cynthia

Joanna said...

It looks great...And I must say you make it look SO easy!

Suburban Stitcher said...

Excellent job! I think it's quite cute!!

Sandra said...

Love it and thanks for the instructions! I will be trying this soon!! I always triple the width - whether it be ruffles or curtains or whatever. I am all about fullness, too. xoxo

julie said...

I love it! I may copy for my 10 year old who wants her room redone like a "big girl". I think it is precious!

Princess Freckles said...

That chair turned out to be so cute! I think I'm going to try to find a sewing class sometime soon. I have been offered a new machine from my future mother in law and I think it would be great to make window dressings and various other home decorations.

beth said...

You did a great job! My hubby does the sewing in our house. I'm so glad that he knows how to sew, cause I hate it. I put him to work all winter sewing all kinds of things for me. Curtains, pillow covers, chair pads, Roman shades, the list goes on. It's a good feeling when you save money by making things yourself. Well, when my husband makes them for me. Ha ha. :)

Nancy Rosalina said...

Oh that is tooooo cute!!! Great job! Nancy

Paula@SweetPea said...

Wow! That looks really nice. After reading your instructions, I think I could actually do this project.

Oliver's said...

INCREDIBLE!!!!! I have been wanting to do this to my daughters chair...thank you for the tutorial, it looks wonderful!

Oliver's said...

INCREDIBLE!!!!! I have been wanting to do this to my daughters chair...thank you for the tutorial, it looks wonderful!

Brittany said...

SOOOOO CUUUUTE!!!

And, so glad you are back! I missed all of your amazing posts!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Now that is adorable! I've been putting off trying to make a chair & ottoman slipcover & really need to just get to it!

Anonymous said...

Moo-
I love my lamp! Its really funny I bought a bag of shells at Ross the other day when I bought your cupcake stand, and had intentions to do a lamp somewhat like that!
I wonder who my mummy is?
~Lizzie

The Mrs. said...

Love all your projects!!!! I wish I could sew I swear I would be all over it!!!