Friday, July 17, 2009

Hooked on SEWING SLIPCOVERS

Thanks Julia for another HOOKED ON FRIDAY’S PARTY.

I’m finally motivated to finish some of my sewing projects. I have a huge block of time (2 weeks) to be home and undisturbed. I don’t have a sewing room, sniff, sniff, so I make use of the dining room table for cutting and pinning. And what a mess it all makes. I started these projects months ago, had to put everything away due to company and all the traveling that I had to do.

100_0126

So the mess starts here then travels to the laundry room where sewing machine is set up and of course the ironing board lives.

100_0123

I’m working on the canvas duck slipcover for this red sofa in a small room. Yes, threads are everywhere, as I walk back and forth through rooms. This is a very simple slipcover, intended to be loose and IMPERFECT! HA…. that is quite easy to achieve!

100_0113

It worked out that one whole piece covers the back and the front, so I didn’t make extra work cutting and stitching where these 2 pieces would normally be stitched together with cording. The back cushions are so big and comfy that they hid this, so why make extra work?

100_0114

This is the bottom where bottom cushions sit being pinned to the front where top cushions sit. The bottom panel is not the duck canvas, I want to save any extra duck in case I need to make a new cushion cover or two. So I used a cotton $1.00 yard from Wal-Mart, it does not show.

100_0115

Pinning the panels for the side arms, this took many trips to the sewing room and back to get them as tight as possible.

100_0116

See how loose this one is below, fixed it a few times to make it snugger.

100_0117

I still have 2 bottom cushions left to cut and sew, and the skirt needs to designed and attached. I’m debating to go ruffle, tailored, or the easy way out….heavy off-white cotton bullion fringe. Here’s how it looks, I should finish cushions today, hopefully.

100_0119

Love the difference, good bye red, hello white!

100_0120

Made these pillows earlier in the week. The natural flax linen look material came from Wal-Mart, it’s cotton and was CHEAP. I stenciled on the white design with fabric paint.

100_0125

Very happy with these…material for 2 pillows…$4.00, stencil was $4.99 from Michael’s.

100_0124

Still got to finish the white linen slips, back to work.

100_0127

I’ll be sewing for at least another week if I can stand the threads and mess!

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow! great slipcovers! Wish I had your sewing ability.

Jenny said...

That is great! I so don't have the patience to make slipcovers.

Samantha said...

Awesome. Where did you get your slipcover fabric?

I know what you mean about not having a sewing room. We don't even have a dining room table. The last project I did out on the deck on a folding side table - but it ended up being nice to work outdoors.

Paula@SweetPea said...

Great project! I can't imagine taking this on, but you really make it seem doable.

jamie said...

Wow! You have done such a great job on the slipcovers! They look amazing. I love your dining room too!

Sandra said...

I'm waiting on your visit to Tennessee ;-)

Question: So you got your $1 yard white fabric at Walmart?? And it is thick enough to cover the red?? xoxo

Lamp Tramp said...

No, not the $1 per yard Wal-Mart, I used that just as that bottom peice, that no one sees. It would be too thin to hid that heavy re material, but not so for a slip for something else.
The Cotton Duck (in natural) slipcover fabric I ordered online from Fabric.com for $7.98 a yard.

I also bougt some $4 per yard nautural cotton muslin that I'm going to make a slip cover for the large chair sitting next to that sofa. We'll see how it works.

Brittany said...

Wow! Looks so great! Love love love it!

julie said...

LOVE the slipcovers and the pillows are great!!!!! I'm going to slipcover a headboard as soon as the kids get back in school. You have inspired me!

Tricia said...

You are amazing! I was in awe with your couch cushion covers then I saw your new pillows, wow! I've been busy making my own pillows too and they are so plain and blah compared to yours. Thanks for the inspiration and great job!

Beach House 27 said...

Oh wow - so nice to meet you...I see I have a lot of back reading to do. I've shipped many a chandy to New Orleans and have heard many stories of great comebacks and re-do's after Katrina. I pay for the shipping just as I do for military - my tiny contribution.

Enjoy the weekend -

Marsha

Trish @TheOldPostRoad said...

Great job! I am now going to get really, really brave and try the same!

Cristin // Simplified Bee said...

nice work! love it.

thanks too for dropping by my blog!

xo,
cristin

Nancy said...

I can't imagine being brave enough to sew a slipcover like you are doing! Great job on the stenciled pillows.

Are you really happy in the south after leaving New England? We have been in VA for 5 years (I am from GA) but I think we will head back to New England where we lived for 20 years. Of course, where one's children are is paramount in any decision. Ours are in VA, MD, CT and CA. It is hard to know what to do! Thanks for visiting Porch Days!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Great job!! I love the transformation. That stencil is to die for...so pretty!! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. :)

WSU Laura said...

One word...WOW! Love love love those linen pillows. And the couch looks divine.

PINK POPPY said...

AMAZING!!!!! It is coming along beautifully....LOVE LOVE LOVE the flax~ey pillows with the stenciling....looks gorgeous. You are sooooo crafty and talented! I just got white couches....after waiting over two years for them and I love them to pieces...its great to change the look with all the different color pillows i have....you will just love them! thanks for sharing! :)

beth said...

That looks great! I wish I could do that. My husband is pretty good at sewing, and has made me a few pillow covers in the past, but I don't know if he feels ready to tackle a sofa yet. I have a table runner made out of that same natural looking fabric from Walmart. I love it! It looks so, well, natural. :)

nomo wino daph said...

Ohhh I wish I had your talent!
Looks FAB!
Have a great weekend-
Much Love Daph

Free Art Printables said...

Love the slipcover! I am going to walmart asap!

Anonymous said...

love the dinning chairs!

JennyMac said...

smashing work! Good for you.

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

I am so impressed with you. I really am. :)

Hallie

Nancy Rosalina said...

Oh I love them!!! I wish I had that kind of talent!!! Nancy

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

You did such a marvelous job with that slipcover and the pillows! It looks so pretty!

Manuela

The Preppy Princess said...

Holy cow Batwoman, you are *amazing*! And yes, we share your pain on the non-sewing-room-equipped housing quarters here at the Prepatorium. The next Palace will have to come with one honestly. (Heh-heh.)

You are very talented, and we are more-than-impressed!
tp

Cena @ Unexpected Necessities said...

loving your slipcovers!

Judy said...

Your stenciled pillow is to die for! You need to give us a tutorial on how you made them, especially the ruffle. You are way more talented than I am....but I'm going to give it a shot making some of these pillows after I get home from the beach...well, at least that is another project on the radar!

Judy

Shaunna said...

These look wonderful! I'm debating getting slipcovers made for my (red) sofa and chair and a half. this makes me want to try it myself, er, have my mom try it. :) (oh, I thought i was following you this whole time and i'm not! consider me following!) -shaunna :)