Wednesday, July 29, 2009

A little RUFFLE love

Isn’t this beautiful? It’s not mine but I wish it was!

untitled

This was my inspiration from SEW THAT’S IT. Check her out, she does beautiful slipcovers. She has a ruffler attachment, I do not, sniff! sniff! I could buy one, but I would have to buy a whole new machine, it could become costly. I’m still thinking about it, I would get a machine that monograms also.

I LOVE the RUFFLES in place of welting. It really gives the slipcover a unique look.

Today I’m working on this chair. It belongs to daughter and SIL. I promised her I’d make a slipcover for it. And I get to use it temporarily. Miller remembers this chair.

000_0003_00

I’m using unbleached muslin from Wal Mart, $2.00 a yard.

000_0006

The muslin is soft and lightweight, so making the ruffles by hand is easy. This would not work well with a heavier weight material. Miller loves the softness. I go through lint rollers like crazy but they work, picking up Miller hair everywhere. Later if daughter likes this look, I can use this muslin slipcover as a pattern to make a new one for her. Some day, she and husband will be back living in a house again. Hopefully near the beach. Some lovely linen, perhaps?

000_0002

I think I need to rip some seams out and cut down the cushion band a little. Too much extra material there!

13 comments:

Fran said...

I am truly impressed by your sewing skills. It makes me want to get my sewing machine out and get to work.

I look forward to hearing that your daughter and SIL are back in a house and living at the beach. They surely deserve it and SOON!

Fran

Brittany said...

Wow! It is a beautiful inspiration piece and a beautiful interpretation piece! Love them both! Great job! Please, do a tutorial on ruffles by hand sometime!

Anonymous said...

How neat! I love the ruffle and I didnt know a machine could do that. You learn something new everyday in this bloggin world. I wish you could just jump on over and recover mine. You know it's only 2 hours away..smiles~

Belle said...

"I LOVE the RUFFLES in place of welting. It really gives the slipcover a unique look."
I so agree. Just gorgeous. And oh gosh, that mirror is beautiful! Love it. I just picked up an old, wood, round kitchen table (for $25!)that I sanded and stained. Not perfect but I like it and it fits perfectly in my kitchen. Now trying to find chairs for it.
The book...Julie and Julia...I hate to say I don't care for it. The reviews are great and the movie looks adorable but I just can't get into the book. A little dark with comedy and a lot of F-bombs. I'm going to finish it, though. Then I'll let you know. ;)

Much love,
Belle

Joanna said...

Wow, girl you can sew! I need to learn to sew.

Tricia said...

Did you say you're sewing those ruffles by hand? It looks fabulous and thanks for posting the couch too, her blog is great. I'm going to start on a slipcover for my new/old chair and you've inspired me to start tonite!!

Anonymous said...

Looks like you a doing a great job. I too am praying for the daughter and SIL. I have never seen the ruffles on a couch but I like that. I have covered furniture, but not in many a year. Good job.
QMM

KT said...

Hi,
I am honored that you read my blog and linked to it. Your slipcovers look great, and I love your stenciled pillows!
I have always used older sewing machines, so I'm afraid I'm not much help with info on ruffler attachments.
I went over to your daughter's blog and ended up reading from the beginning. I will be praying for them.
Katie

Milk & Cookie Party said...

Very, very classy. Nice & unique touch. I recently heard of a ruffler and am coveting one currently!

Your daughter and SIL deserve a beautiful home near the beach!

Oliver's said...

I am in love with this slipcover! You are the slipcover queen..I'm looking at "gently used" furniture in a whole new way now.

Anonymous said...

You did a beautiful job! It looks gorgeous...

If you have a chance stop by my Blog and say hi!

Have a great day,
Aimee

PINK POPPY said...

Soooooo adorably amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW! that looks like tedious work...but the outcome is so dog~gone cute!!!!!!!!!

Heather Warren said...

Thanks for your sweet comment. I find Liz and David very inspiring, and it makes me keep my 24 days without my husband in perspective. Its just a drop in the bucket.

I knew that she would be inspiring to other mil wives and non-mil wives alike.