Monday, July 27, 2009

The travels and metamorphosis of a Trumeau mirror

metamorphosis_monday

Rhoda at Southern Hospitality is hosting a thrifty party.

Today I decided to take a break from sewing slipcovers and look at some other projects. It seems every room in my home is undergoing some degree of metamorphosis. So I joined the Metamorphosis Monday Party a Susan's Between Naps on the Porch.

I actually found the disc of pictures that I managed to snap before we evacuated for Katrina. It is amazing to look back at these. Here is a picture, circa August 2005 of 2 of my favorite pieces. This is a Trumeau mirror over the Drexel Heritage chest that held all my undies. The chest flooded and swelled, the drawers could not be opened. Consequently I lost all my underwear and my favorite chest. The mirror was fine. I have no clue what happened to the swags and jabots. They were lovely, the front was a silk.... tiny peach and white check, lined with a soft grey damask the matched the grey on the walls. We likely threw them out in the trash pile. Yes, I have ALWAYS sewn for my home. I actually made my first all white sofa slipcover 26 years ago.

100_0550

When daughter moved to Shreveport in 2007, I gave her the mirror. As many of you know, she and husband are now living at Walter Reed indefinitely. I packed up all their belongs in Shreveport, moved them back here to store. I decided to repurpose my old mirror to a guest bedroom that I’m in the process of metamorphasizing. Is this a word?

A little worn for all it’s travels and trauma….

100_0182

But still lovely with lots of relief details…

100_0183

the beginning of whitewashing…

100_0187

I have a great project planned to make a table to go underneath it…hope to get working on it soon

100_0185

Be sure to check out Susan’s party.

34 comments:

Brenda Pruitt said...

This is truly beautiful! What detail in the wood. Amazing how it looks now.
Brenda

Sandra said...

Beautiful! I want to whitewash a coffee table. Would you tell me how you did yours? I bet you get tired of having to give me instructions for every project you do

:-) xoxo

Joanna said...

Oh my goodness that it so pretty! I loved that you whitewashed it. What a completely different look.

Lamp Tramp said...

Preppy 101...I just put the first coat of Kilz white, I need to go and get some Benjamin Moore Navajo White, I ran out since I'm painting everything! I'll post a little more on it later!

Joan@anythinggoeshere said...

I love how the white brings out the details. Very elegant.

Maya said...

Love what you did with that mirror! A whitewash is just so fresh and beachy (to me).

Michelle said...

I love the mirror! I have so many mirror in my house but adding a mirror is almost like adding a window!

Lynn said...

I like the look!
Sorry about your undies!

Anonymous said...

That is a gorgeous mirror! Love what you have done with it.

Lynn said...

The "Welcome to Mississippi" sign.

Actually I have pictures of myself in front of a whole bunch of state line signs.
I just happened to have been born in Jackson, Mississippi!
...a loooong time ago.

Princess Freckles said...

What a lovely mirror! I like it white too! Whenever you discuss Katrina it really touches me. You're the only person I "know" who was affected by that awful disaster, but whenever you speak of it, I feel inspired by you!

In response to Preppy 101, I'd like a little lesson on whitewashing furniture. I have a dresser, two andtables and a beautiful jewelry cabinet that are all different stains of wood. I'd love to whitewash them all so that they're very shabby chic for my guest room.

Suzanne in TX said...

Love the whitewash! You did a great job. Thanks for stopping in at my blog earlier.

Claudia said...

Oooh i want this!! such a great job and couldnt help but fall in love with your lovely bed.

Thanks for sharing.

TTFN~~ Claudia ♥

Kammy said...

So great to get it back...
Hugs ~! kammy

the Pleasures of Homemaking said...

Beautiful! I really love it whitewashed!

Manuela

Blue Creek Home said...

I love trumeau's and the white wash you did looks fabulous.

I couldn't find your email address either! I can't think of a reason that you shouldn't use one of my ideas, and I appreciate that you will link back to me.
FIY-bluecreekhome@gmail.com
Rhonda

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Love the pics. I live vicariously through your creativity!!

Hallie

Anonymous said...

That mirror is just as pretty as it can be! How are you?

Things That Inspire said...

Fantastic! I love, love, love trumeaux (is that the plural), and I especially love what you have done with yours. It is proving my theory that most pieces of brown furniture look better with a whitewash on them.

Lisa said...

It is just lovely! You did a great job with it.

From the Old InkWell said...

This turned out great! I like it much better than the original.

Cass @ That Old House said...

Loved the original, and I know I'm going to love the finished mirror! It looks lovely.

My heart just broke when I read of your Katrina experience -- we have gone thru floods at our former house, although nothing on that scale.

I have your son-in-law and daughter in my prayers; I am speechless and awed in the face of so much courage in the midst of such pain.

Best wishes to you all -- Cass

Unknown said...

Such a pretty transaformation! The whitewashing really brought out the pretty details!

Tina

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

My wieners do shed but unless you pick them up and rub them on your shirt (which is not something everyone can handle watching!) you'd never know. They shed eyelash siz hairs that you can't see anywhere but against fabric!

Hallie :)

Southern Aspirations said...

The whitewashing is fantastic! Totally turns it into a different piece. Lovely!

Anonymous said...

So glad that you are doing well. I know that y'all have had your share. Im glad to see you back in the saddle again and look forward to watching your projects happen~

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Thanks for stopping by the party! I hope you'll update your link to me on your sidebar with the new blog address:

http://southernhospitalityblog.com/

Thanks!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

That mirror is beautiful, I'm sure the whole room will be gorgeous.

Tricia said...

Love, love, love that mirror- great job!

Nancy Rosalina said...

That is beautiful!!!!!! Love how it looks now! Nancy

Roeshel said...

Oh - wow! I.love.it! Great job!

★Carol★ said...

Great job whitewashing that mirror! I wish I knew how to do that, but I stink at it!

Nicole A. said...

Love it! What a beautiful mirror!! Awesome makeover!

Marie said...

Hello! Love that mirror! So fabulous. Thank you for sharing!

Blessings,
Marie
http://emmacallsmemama.com