In March, I realized how messy all my cabinets and closets were. I still had tons of things in boxes from moving back into house after Katrina. Hubby and I would suddenly remember something we hadn't seen in 2 years but couldn't find it. I started organizing, still have lots more to do.
Master bath closet before. I was brave enough to show my messiness for the first time for all the world to see.
*A WHOLE LOT OF PAINTING*
Once the wedding was over and I had time to decompress, I got busy. All of July I painted rooms. I did this repainting for 2 reasons. First, I needed to go with slightly lighter shade in a lot of the rooms. Second, someone had to fix all the mistakes from the Bad Sheet rock floaters, Painting crew #1 and Painting crew #2 that did terrible things during our Katrina remodel. I couldn't stand to have Painting crew #3 come in here, make a huge mess and possibly rip us off yet again. Much to my husband's protests, I did the labor.
Dining room before:


Dining room after:
Not sold on this color hence I never proceeded with window treatments. I now have a new color in mind... one of many projects for 2009.
Foyer before:
Foyer after in the new Interactive Cream shade:
Daughter's room before in SW Dromedary Camel:
Daughter's room after in SW Interactive Cream:
Son's room before in SW Dromadary Camel:
After in SW Interactive Cream:

Bath # 2: remember this mess? I sanded for 2 weeks
Bath # 2 after. Yea, finally some pictures never seen before!



See the ugly metal 1990's shower fixtures, handles, shower head, etc? Got the oil rubbed bronze stuff to replace them, just waiting on Mr. Plumber # 1, then Mr. Plumber # 2 that hunts more then he works. I may need to find Mr. Plumber # 3....
No, husband can not do such things. The older he gets, the less he'll agree to do. You'll read why shortly.
Bath # 3 before:
Bath #3 after:

In all I sanded and repainted 2 baths, 2 bedrooms, the hall, the dining room, and a TV/Study. But before you think I'm a painting diva, alas I've yet to finish all the wood trim in some of these rooms. I put that paint away at the end of August when we had to evacuate for Gustav. Yet to bring it back out.
This is likely the biggest accomplishment of all since I had to rely on hubby's help. How to make or buy a 17 foot long curtain pole is a major undertaking, if one were to enlist my spouse. First we argued over what to use: copper piping, metal pipe, PVC, or wood. That took a week. We, actually, he settled on wood. Then he took 3 weeks to find the center point for each of the 2 dowels to drill the hole, to put the screw pin in. Another 2 weeks for him to put 17 ft pole together. Then 2 days of him cussing, yelling, bitching, and moaning just to put the 4 brackets up. He is too precise when doing these things, hence I rarely ask for his help.
Now this whole project came about since I wanted to reuse these 2 puffy window treatments that I didn't know what to do with. I sold hubby on doing the 17 ft pole project cuz that would be the only cost! HA!
I love the way it turned out despite all the agony I endured to get there. I don't dare tell him that the silk material has sun fade spots from their previous life. Therefore, I'm not happy. My plan is to find new material, sew new drapes, and get them up there without him knowing. I am happy with his pole, however!
See the sun spots below? I pinned the fringe on so I can reuse it on my new drapes. At least hubby's part is done.

*METAMORPHOSIS OF A KITCHEN HUTCH*
This is how my hutch looked in early 2008. Then Nester had this P.O.O.P.I.E. party which shamed me into getting rid of some stuff.
So then I did this but soon decided I was not happy with it:
Then after Christmas I did this. It makes me smile every time I walk into my kitchen. We all need stuff that makes us smile!
So, thats my project accomplishments for 2008. Thanks for taking time to look at them and please critique me in any way. I often don't see my mistakes while I live with them. Sometimes when I post pictures, I'm aghast and wonder what was I thinking?
Dining room before:

Dining room after:
Not sold on this color hence I never proceeded with window treatments. I now have a new color in mind... one of many projects for 2009.
Foyer before:
Daughter's room before in SW Dromedary Camel:
Son's room before in SW Dromadary Camel:
Bath # 2: remember this mess? I sanded for 2 weeks
Bath # 2 after. Yea, finally some pictures never seen before!


See the ugly metal 1990's shower fixtures, handles, shower head, etc? Got the oil rubbed bronze stuff to replace them, just waiting on Mr. Plumber # 1, then Mr. Plumber # 2 that hunts more then he works. I may need to find Mr. Plumber # 3....No, husband can not do such things. The older he gets, the less he'll agree to do. You'll read why shortly.
Bath # 3 before:
Bath #3 after:
In all I sanded and repainted 2 baths, 2 bedrooms, the hall, the dining room, and a TV/Study. But before you think I'm a painting diva, alas I've yet to finish all the wood trim in some of these rooms. I put that paint away at the end of August when we had to evacuate for Gustav. Yet to bring it back out.*OIL RUBBED BRONZE HARDWARE*
Slowly in the last 3 years I've replaced all ugly 1990's brass hardware and fixtures. I don't have a before picture of these. I, all by my Lamp Tramp self replaced all 19 door handles and and 6 deadbolts. It was easy to do but cost consuming. I spread the cost out over July, August, and September this year and prayed no one would notice that I hadn't finished buying all the handles. I have 2 shiny brass light fixtures left and the nasty, lime stained shower fixtures in bath # 2 and #3 left to do. By the time I finish, there will likely be something newer and better out there on the market that I will covet. This is a great picture below to see a few door knobs all at once.
Slowly in the last 3 years I've replaced all ugly 1990's brass hardware and fixtures. I don't have a before picture of these. I, all by my Lamp Tramp self replaced all 19 door handles and and 6 deadbolts. It was easy to do but cost consuming. I spread the cost out over July, August, and September this year and prayed no one would notice that I hadn't finished buying all the handles. I have 2 shiny brass light fixtures left and the nasty, lime stained shower fixtures in bath # 2 and #3 left to do. By the time I finish, there will likely be something newer and better out there on the market that I will covet. This is a great picture below to see a few door knobs all at once.
*THE DREADED 17 FOOT LONG CURTAIN ROD* or my husband has a temper and hates to do projects
This is likely the biggest accomplishment of all since I had to rely on hubby's help. How to make or buy a 17 foot long curtain pole is a major undertaking, if one were to enlist my spouse. First we argued over what to use: copper piping, metal pipe, PVC, or wood. That took a week. We, actually, he settled on wood. Then he took 3 weeks to find the center point for each of the 2 dowels to drill the hole, to put the screw pin in. Another 2 weeks for him to put 17 ft pole together. Then 2 days of him cussing, yelling, bitching, and moaning just to put the 4 brackets up. He is too precise when doing these things, hence I rarely ask for his help.
The curtain panels were lined and stitched for 2 months (by me) waiting for a pole to hang on.
Now this whole project came about since I wanted to reuse these 2 puffy window treatments that I didn't know what to do with. I sold hubby on doing the 17 ft pole project cuz that would be the only cost! HA!
I love the way it turned out despite all the agony I endured to get there. I don't dare tell him that the silk material has sun fade spots from their previous life. Therefore, I'm not happy. My plan is to find new material, sew new drapes, and get them up there without him knowing. I am happy with his pole, however!
See the sun spots below? I pinned the fringe on so I can reuse it on my new drapes. At least hubby's part is done.
*METAMORPHOSIS OF A KITCHEN HUTCH*
This is how my hutch looked in early 2008. Then Nester had this P.O.O.P.I.E. party which shamed me into getting rid of some stuff.
Then after Christmas I did this. It makes me smile every time I walk into my kitchen. We all need stuff that makes us smile!
So, thats my project accomplishments for 2008. Thanks for taking time to look at them and please critique me in any way. I often don't see my mistakes while I live with them. Sometimes when I post pictures, I'm aghast and wonder what was I thinking?Looking forward to seeing all your great projects. Remember to check out Rhoda's party if you haven't yet.
Thanks, Rhoda, this was inspiring. Boy, do I have a list for 2009 projects. I need to write them down and post them so ya'll can keep me on task!
Lamp Tramp

30 comments:
You tramp! I am so jealous and in awe!
Actually, I'm impressed! Everything looks great! My favorite is the hutch makeover to blue and white. Awesome change.
But I am really impressed with your attention to detail and willingness to make it right. I would have lived with the painter's mistakes. But you sanded and labored and repainted!
You and Interactive Cream make a good team!
You are amazing!! I love all your projects! The organized cupboard is to die for, I love the curtains in the bedroom! Gosh everything is just fabulous.
You have some amazing things! Love the black and white on the shelves! Fun to see your blog!!
Tiffany at The Childrens Nest
Thanks for playing! You have done some amazing projects, all that painting. I see you got rid of Drom. Camel. It was a great color & a bunch of people used it for the longest time, but I guess it was time to move on.
Love your hutch with the white dishes in your kitchen, that is gorgeous! Just my kind of look too. You really have such great taste, everything looks wonderful.
TRamp!
Are you kidding me? All this AND a wedding? You deserve the award mam!
I LOVE the hutch piece at the end so much. Classy. And I also am in love with your drapes in every photo. I so need drapes but am afraid of commitment. Afraid I will buy it and end up hating it. I wish someone would do it for me.
Great post!
Wow~amazing transformations! Thunderous applause coming from Phoenix. Well done.
I can't believe you think any of your projects need critiquing! It all looks fantastic!! I love all the paint projects and your organization is incredible. Great job!!
rue
Your house is amazing!!! I saw so many things that I love. Your window treatments have to be my favorite. I sooo need to get window treatments for my home. The colors in the rooms look fabulous and the bathrooms are stunning. Great job with all your choices.
Your house is beautiful and I love your paint choices. You accomplished a lot in 2008! I'm in the process of repainting all my rooms also..I need to lighten up the color. Just finished room #4 today, only 3 more to go!
Hi Katrina!!
Beautiful projects.
So nice to meet you...What a fun party! Rhoda is so sweet to motivate us all to post pics:)
Have a great evening!
KayEllen
You did a great job!!! A great job! I like all the work that you did.
and yep, those are all my birds or rather, DD's birds. I just feed them, clean them, water them, clean their cages.... One calls me "Mama" and asks for kisses all the time. :-)
Great job on the renovations and clean up! Glad your back in the house you love!
Thanks for the visit,
Suzy
I lost you! I remember your bathroom make over:) It turned out wonderful! As did each and everyone of your other projects. I too had to re-do some things as the poopie party:) Your hutch is lovely! Can I save you to my blog roll?
You have had an amazing year!! And every single thing that you have done is just lovely! Your window treatments are gorgeous - are they silk?? Anyway, congrats on doing a fab job that was not easy! xoxo
Can I steal you to come redo my home?
How do you find time to get all of this done? When you switched all your hardware to the oil rubbed bronze did you also re-do the hinges on the doors? When we built our house I really wanted the ORB but it was so $$$ so I did the brushed stainless looking stuff...better than brass but I still don't love it and everytime I see the ORB I want to kick myself. Never thought of doing a floor at a time, maybe I just found a new project for '09!:)
Great projects! It all looks wonderful!
Awesome work! Beautiful changes! Hey, I can't see the last photo of the kitchen hutch, is it my computer? It is very dark and I can't see what changes you are indicating you made.
You have motivated me to get my "honey do" list going!! We have lived in older houses that we have redone and now live in a new house and it just needs some homey touches.... Thanks for the motivation! Happy New Year! And here's to accomplishing much in '09!
You had quite a year! And, I think your new name should be "Curtain Tramp". You have some GORGEOUS draperies!
Wow....you've gotten a LOT accomplished! I love all your changes and laughed when you blogged about your hubby. I USED to have a hubby like that but now...it's just me, so I do it myself. Not so great sometimes and sometimes I have 3 or 4 holes in the sheetrock but I figure...that's what paint's for, right!?!?! Happy New Years from Houston, TX!
You make me want to start organizing.... right now.
Hi, I wandered over from some blog (LOL) and I really like your blog. I wish my closets looked like yours! I'm impressed you're keeping them looking good!
I'll be sure to stop back.
Gail
My oh my what a busy little bee you are. I love your before and afters... The befores ar even beautiful!!! Your house needs to be in Southern Living. It shows the true beauty of a Southern Home~
Alright. You're my hero. I can't believe you changed our your metal door hardware on your own. I totally understand the cost issue of changing that stuff out, and kudos to you for being patient and staying at it.
First of all, your organization puts me to SHAME!! You must post on the 12th at my place. Also, FB used to just be for students, from what I understand, they opened it up to everyone a couple years ago, I think? I think that's why everyone is into now and also why I dug in my heals for so long...thought it was just for teeny boppers! :)
Oh man, oh man! That's just amazing......I'm thinkin' of doin' my bedroom and I'm feeling overwhelmed :)
Everything you did was just so great. I don't know where to start! I love the curtains you put in - so beautiful. I also love the black and white boxes in your cupboard - darling!
You are amazing! Thanks for the inspiration!
Jen
Wow! Your home is beautiful and you obviously have put countless hours into making it that way. I can't believe the amount of painting you did this year, and I'm glad you got to show it off to all of us! Good Job!
I also don't rely on my husband to do projects unless I absolutely need his help. He surprised me last week though by being will to read my sewing machine manual and figuring out how to do an auto button hole. Only took him 3 minutes! (After I tried an hour) So, I guess I'll keep him around!
I love that you painted your hutch. Now you have so many more options to change it up during different seasons.
Post a Comment